Have my Breast Implants Bottomed Out? Was 34B got 300cc in 1, 350cc saline, areola incision, under muscle.

was 34B got 300cc in 1, 350cc saline, areola incision, under muscle. Im 2 1/2 wks post op theyre still a bit swollen/high up but getting better everyday. I feel like I can feel the bottom of the larger implant now and the smaller one, I cant. They dont look different though and I went for my check up 2 days ago and she said everything looked great. Is it normal to feel the implant and as my breasts get less swollen and drop, will I not be able to feel it after they settle and deswell?

2-1/2 weeks is too early to tell if breast implants have bottomed out

+1

Thank you for your question. 2 a half weeks is too early to tell if the implants are going to bottom out, and simply feeling the edge of the implant does not mean that you will bottoming out. Of course express your concerns to your plastic surgeon but it sounds as though everything is going normally.

Bottomed out breast implant augmentation surgery options

+1

Without photographs and examination, this is difficult to offer advice simply using a verbal description. This may require removal and replacement with smaller implants, removing the implants altogether and allowing closing down of the pocket or a neopectoral pocket or acellular dermal matrix sling.

Not unusual to feel implant in certain cases

+1

If you are thin and have had the folds at the bottom of the breast lowered, it is not unusual to feel the implant, especially off to the side where the skin breast and muscle are the thinnest. This will probably increase as the swelling goes down. This is more common with saline implants than silicone because of the thickness of the implant show. Sometimes this feeling can be improved with adjustments of the space or with an exchange of implants trading saline for silicone. 

At this point, you need to wait a little longer to make any determinations.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

"Feeling" and implant after surgery.

+1

As the swelling subsides from your surgery, it is common to feel the edge of the implants. This is especially true with larger implants in smaller breasts. The discrepancy of the two implants in size should not be apparent based on feel (particularly at a 50cc difference). You should expect to have continued resolution of swelling for at least 6-8 weeks following surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

You really need to wait for 6 weeks to assess the results of the area.

+1

Thank you very much for your enquiry, a two and a half weeks following surgery is very difficult to assess the final result as the implants will settle down in a different time span.

I think you really need to wait for 6 weeks to assess the results of the area.

It is normal to feel the implants in the lower part of your breast as this is where the muscle will not be covering the breast and therefore it makes some slightly more likely to be felt through the skin as there is no muscle coverage in this area.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope the area settles down and the swelling goes down nicely.

Best wishes yours sincerely,

Adrian Richards

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon

Surgical Director of Aurora Clinics

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Bottoming Out

+1

I would not worry about how your breasts look so soon after surgery.  There will be several weeks of "settling out", which may occur at different rates for each breast.  In the end, you may feel the implant, especially if they are saline implants and your skin is thin.  This is especially true at the lower pole of the breast.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Palpable borders of breast implants

+1

Dear Josey,

yes if you are slim, you will feel the borders of your new saline breast implants at the inferior mammary fold and also you may feel them laterally as the post-operative swelling  improves.

This is normal.

what would be a problem is if the borders of these implants go below your bra line, which means bottoming out. or even if they become visible, which mean rippling.

check with your surgeon,

good luck,

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD

Have my Breast Implants Bottomed Out?

+1

It doesn't sound like your implants have bottomed out. Bottoming out occurs when the implant displaces and goes below the infra-mammary line (the natural crease that your breasts form). This can be caused by weak tissues (usually with a large implant)  or too low of a dissection by the surgeon.

What you are experience is palpability of the implant along the lower pole. It's more common with saline implants in women with thin breast tissue. If it continues to bother you, you can consider exchanging your implants for silicone, it will decrease, but may not completely eliminate this problem. I would suggest waiting a while, at least 6 months, get used to your implants and then make a decision. Hope this helps, good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Being able to feel the implant is common

+1

Dear Josey932,

Being able to feel the implant at the bottom of the breast is not particularly unusual. Even if your implants were placed under the muscle, the muscle does not totally cover the bottom of the implant. This will not go away as the implants settle, and will likely become more noticeable. This should not be a concern unless you can SEE rippling in this area. Bottoming out is when the implant has moved lower than its intended position, usually at a point below the breast fold.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

Palpable implant edges after augmentation

+1

It sounds like you are describing the palpable edges of your implant as your swelling is subsiding. This is pretty normal, especially in women with very thin tissues and minimal breast tissue to cover the implant.  It may not go away--it actually may become more apparent to you as your swelling continues to go down--but it usually is not a problem, just a new part of the way your breast feels.  This is different from "bottoming out," which typically occurs years later and is due to thinning of the skin and breast tissue over time. 

Amy M. Sprole, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon