How Long to Wait for Another Bottomed out Revision?

Hello Doctors - I had a bottomed out Breast implants revision recently but the correction failed. The skin stretched again. How long do you reccommend waiting before another revision such that the tissues would be in good shape for the repair? I know about the risk of getting an infection, as most doctors will recommend three to six months; but I don't know about the timing to wait for correction for bottomed out and visible rippling?

Patience is a virtue

+2

It's really important that the stuff the repair depends on (that is to say, the firmness of the capsule around the breast) be as well formed as possible. Most doctors would wait at least 4 months and 6 months would be a solid, conservative wait period.

Recently there have been some innovations in materials that can strengthen a repair of this sort. Strattice is a product that acts like a strong sling over the repair and can help in cases where bottoming out has not worked with the first repair. Good luck!

May need different approach for bottomed out implants

+2

The more important issue here is not how long to wait, but why did the revisional surgery fail. If the same procedure is repeated, you can likely expect the same failed result.

Once the implants have bottomed out and the lower pole of the breast stretched, it may be a very difficult problem to correct. You may be better served by removing the implants and performing a lift.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out correction

+1

I like to wait  at least 6 months prior to correction of inferior displacement of breast implants (bottoming out). This allows for the capsule tissue around the breast implant to have increased strength and hold sutures better (capsuloraphy)- I think this allows for improved chances of successful repair. Allograft reconstruction may also be helpful, especially if the implant malposition problem is recurrent.

Make sure you seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon with significant experience with revisionary surgery. Best wishes.