Breast Implants: Are Asian Women at Higher Risk for Capsular Contracture?

I heard this one before- true or false in your experiences?

Capsular Contracture in Asian Women

+2

I have not personally seen an increased rate of capsular contracture in Asian women.  Although I do feel that there is a somewhat higher incidence of hypertrophic scarring in Asian women and men, I have not observed that patients prone to hypertrophic scarring have an increased rate of capsular contracture.

Breast Implants: Are Asian Women at Higher Risk

+1

There are no studies to suggest this but due to the higher risk for scarring, the areola incision is preferred and this may be associated with higher capsular contracture.

Capsular contracture in Asians

+1

Although there have been anecdotal reports of a higher risk of capsular contracture occuring in Asian women, I do not believe this claim has been substantiated by reliable scientific data.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Asian women and capsular contracture

+1

I know of no studies that suggest Asian women have a higher incidence of capsular contracture than other groups of women.