Breast Augmentation for Someone Who Suffered from Anxiety?

I'm really considering Breast Augmentation. During the consultation, I was pretty excited, but after leaving, I began having all kinds of negative thoughts like, what if I don't like the way I look? What if have complications later? What is the worst that can happen if I get them removed?

Is it normal for me to think of these? I have sufferred from anxiety in the past and was on medication for it. But I have not been on any medication for about 4 years. I really want fuller and bigger breasts. Should I go ahead with it?

Nervous and anxious about breast implants

+1

IT is very normal for individuals to be very nervous or anxious about the procedure but remember that it is elective cosmetic surgery and you should  defer the procedure if you have any doubts.

Some degree of anxiety is normal

+1

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. They are in the best position to get a feel for just how anxious you are. If you chose to have surgery you need to decide in your mind that you trust your plastic surgeon and the team of people that will take care of you. If your plastic surgeon has some reservations about your level of anxiety, they may ask you to talk with another health care provider to give a second opinion. It may be recommended that you restart your anti-anxiety medications but you should be at a level state of mind before having the elective surgery. Take care.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Anxiety

+1

It is very normal for patients to be nervous at the time of consultation. Try to remember that a consultation is simply a meeting to discuss the procedure and learn about the possible risks. No knife! You need to take some time to digest the information you got from the consult. Think about all you were told, talk to some family members and friends, and make sure you write down any questions you have. No one can ever remember all the details presented at the first meeting so go back for a second or even a third consult. After you feel you understand the details of the procedure, have a firm idea of what you can expect in terms of results, and understand all the potential risks and complications you will be able to make a rational decision. Clearly, you need to also feel very comfortable with the plastic surgeon you have chosen. You might also consider consulting with other American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeons in your area, just to hear recommendations from different surgeons.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD