Can I Still Do Chest Work Outs While Exercising After Getting Breast Implants?

I am very active, lift weights, run, do kick boxing, and am a gym rat. Is it unsafe to get breast implants and still do chest work outs such as push ups? I heard from someone that it isn't safe to do chest weights after getting breast implants because it can cause complications... I am talking after they've healed. Also I was concerned about wake boarding. Can I get your opinion on this please? I want to know if I should avoid chest exercises in general after my surgery.

Exercise and implant placement

+2

In general, I advise my patients to wait for a minimum of 4 weeks after surgery before doing any sort of heavy lifting or exercise. However, if you are extremely athletic, you may want to consider having your implants placed in the subglandular position...above the pectoralis muscle. This will allow you more flexibility over the long term with heavy upper body activities.

Working out after Breast Augmentation Surgery

+2

I have many patients who love their "fitness" activities and have been fine because they have started up their routines AFTER everything has healed.  I even have professional body builders who have had breast augmentation surgery. I don't think it is an issue as long as you listen to your surgeon and follow their instructions as to when you are ok to start the workouts.  Lower body workouts can be started pretty soon after surgery, the upper body workouts should start when your surgeon has given you the "Green Light".

Choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not cosmetic surgery) and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  From here, you know you are selecting from qualified surgeons.  You need to meet with the surgeon, see many examples of their work and talk to patients about their experience with the surgeon and the staff.  If there is a way to speak to and meet patients who have undergone a similar procedure, that is usually very useful. 

Working Out After Augmentation

+2

I would have no problem with you working out (including chest muscles) beginning six weeks or so after surgery, assuming that you had a normal period of healing and the implants were in a good position.  The implants at that point should be well encapsulated (hopefully without a contracture) and should not be harmed by these workouts.

John Whitt, MD

Chest Exercises After Breast Augmentation Should Not Resume Before Six weeks

+2

In the long run, there are no exercise restrictions after the submuscular placement of breast implants. The key to avoiding problems, however, is to avoid chest exercises and strain while the surgical site is healing. This can be very difficult for a 'gym rat' and there is a great temptation to return too soon as you will feel better before you are actually healed. While the number of weeks of chest exercise restriction  will vary amongst plastic surgeons, it is better to be too conservative than too aggressive. Therefore, 6 weeks is a minimum amount of time and 8 weeks would even be better. As you are going through the healing process,, it is important to remember that you are making an investment for the rest of your life. You can always catch up on your exercising. But if you create implant complications, you may never be able to get it right again or at the least face revisional surgery that otherwise could have been avoided. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Working Out After Breast Augmentation

+2

A large proportion of my patients are fitness 'fanatics' and I strongly encourage them to resume these activities after 6-8 weeks following a breast augmentation.  In certain cases, particularly those women who have an affinity for activities that stress the pectoral muscles, I do recommend placing silicone gel implants on top of the muscle to avoid any potential disruption of their activities.  I try to avoid using saline implants on top of the muscle because of the higher risk for visible and palpable rippling.  Based on your particular activities, I would likely recommend that your implants be placed over the muscle and encourage you to get back to all activities...even wake boarding!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Work outs after breast augmentation

+2

Once you are healed you really can do anything. But this is after you have healed ( usually after 6-8 weeks)

Chest Work-Outs and Breast Implants

+2

When a patient would like a breast augmentation, but she doesn't want to abandon her chest work-out routine, it's not a good idea to place the new implants behind her pectoral muscles. This would just be inviting muscular displacement of the implants, detracting from a good post-op appearance.

For these patients, I routinely suggest silicone gel implants placed on top of the muscles, but behind the muscle fascia. This "subfascial" placement affords several advantages of sub-muscular placement without including the problem of mechanical implant displacement.

I suggest seeking a surgeon who offers that option.

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Weights and breast implants

+2

If you put your implants on top of your chest muscle then you can work out your chest muscle to your heart's content and it will not affect the implants.  The downside of implants on top of the chest muscle, however, is that there is a higher risk of capsular contractures and feeling ripples (especially in saline implants).  For that reason, I think most plastic surgeons recommend placing implants below the chest muscle.  The downside of this placement is that the implants will now behave more like your chest muscle than your breasts.  If you flex your chest muscle, it may cause the implant to move as well.  With this in mind, I generally tell my patients that the implant is behind the chest muscle pushing it out into the breast.  The chest muscle is now, essentially, part of their breast tissue.  They want it to be soft and pliable like breast tissue, not tight and toned like muscle.  Therefore, my advice is to work out every other muscle in your body but leave out any specific chest muscle exercises.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Excercise and Breast Implants

+1
Each surgeon has his or her guidelines regarding postoperative care. Typically, patients can begin light activity after 3 to 5 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can resume in 3 to 6 weeks. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the specifics about you and the scope of the surgery. During the consultation process, athletic women should indicate their interests and objective so the surgeon can plan the surgery properly.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS