Can Breast Implants Cause Hives?

I received breast implants one week ago from today, and 3 days ago broke out in a serious rash/hives all over my body and face. I realize this could be because of antibiotics but I have been off them for 3 days. Is it possible the breast implants can cause hives? Thanks

Rash not related to breast implants - and more likely to medication

+1

The risk of getting a rash from the silicone implants is essentially zero, if not zero. More likely, you are experiencing this rash from another cause which could include pain or other medication including the antibiotics that you stopped a few days ago. You should contact your doctor immediately and see what he/she recommends.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.arizonabreast.com

Hives after surgery

+1

Since implants are not known to cause an allergic reaction, it is likely due to something else such as antibiotics or another medication you were given

Hives secondary to implants

+1

It is highly unlikely.  It would be much more common for your hives to be secondary to a medication or to any other environmental factors in your life.  The implants are made of silicone.  Silicone is found in many items in our life that you would have been exposed to already long before your surgery.  Keep a close eye on the location of the hives and the exposures in your life as there is likely something else in your envireonment that is causing the hives.

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Breast Implants and Hives

+1

Dear Cindy l,  Thanks for your question.  Breast implants are some of the most studied bio-mechanical medical devices in history.  The data does not really support your breast implants being the source of your outbreak of hives.  The more likely source is one of the medications you have either had administered during your surgery or have taken after your surgery.  Please discuss this with your surgeon who can help you obtain relief from your hives and reassure you about the status of your implants.  Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Implants Do Not Cause Hives

+1

Although theoretically possible, breast implants have not been implicated in that type of allergic reaction. The culprit is most likely a medicine and the reaction may take a week to resolve. Certain antibiotics can cause severe reactions and if this persists, make sure you see your surgeon.

Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants do NOT Cause Hives

+1

No other medical device in thed history of Medicine has been studied and scrutinized as much as the Breast Implant. Breast Implants do NOT cause hives (nor a myriad of other disorders previously associated with them). It is MUCH more likely that you have an allergic reaction to one of the medications you were treated with. You need to discuss this with your surgeon and together you will take care of it. The information you learn now could be helpful next time you are about to be  treated with that medication.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Breast Implants and Hives?

+1

It is possible but extremely unlikely that the breast implants are the source of allergic reactions/ hives you are experiencing. As you mentioned it is much more likely that it is one of the medications you have been taking or have received perioperatively  that is the culprit.

Once the allergic “cascade” begins it may take several weeks before the hives/rashes resolve. The use of Benadryl and/or steroids may be indicated under the direction of your physicians.

I hope this helps. Remember the saying; " when you hear galloping animals think horses,  not zebras".

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm