Do Breast Implants and Chicken Nuggets Share Ingredients?

I saw a string of retweets on Twitter about Chicken McNuggets and breast implants containing the same ingredient -- Polydimethylsiloxane, also referred to as dimethylpolysiloxane. It appears McDonald's does list this as an ingredient in their nuggets -- is it also used in breast implants?

Silicone is found in many places you wouldn't think

+1

Thank you for your question. I agree with the answers below.  Silicone and some of its related compounds are ubiquitous, meaning found everywhere on the planet Earth. This doesn't mean that when you are eating a Chicken McNugget, that you are taking a bite out of what could be a breast implant. True, true, and unrelated.

Silicon In Cooking and Breast Implants

+1

Of the over forty ingredients that are in a Chicken McNugget, one of those is an oil derived from silicone known as polydimethylsiloxane. It is there to act as an antifoaming agent to keep the fryers from boiling over in the cooking process. It is derived from the identical base element silicon that also comprises a gel breast implant. While there are similar in this elemental composition, they are manufactured differently so one is an oil and the other is a more linked cohensive gel. While one helps cooking a breast, the other is responsible for helping make a breast. While this 'discovery' is interesting and perhaps even humorous, it does illustrate that silicone is a ubiquitous material and is more a part of our everyday life than we realize. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Do breast implants and chicken nuggets share ingredients?

+1

Polydimethylsiloxane, also know as PDMS, is a common food additive present in some processed foods like chicken nuggets, jams, milk products, and processed vegetables. It is also used in most silicone products, putties, and adhesives. This this does not mean that breast implants have anything to do with chicken nuggets. As a matter of fact, silicone is found in beer, oats, barley, and rice.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and chicken McNuggets?

+1

I know that there is a joke somewhere in this,but I'll keep it serious?  Silicone is a lubricant found in many products I suppose it is possible that it is in there.  But I have yet to see the Golden Arches on any of my implant products( sorry had to put it out there!).

Are your implants what you eat?

+1
Silicone molecules are in virtually every manufactured product. I wouldn't make big deal of this or somehow think that chicken nuggets and breast implants have anything of consequence in common. Hydrogen and oxygen molecules (which comprise water) are ubiquitous, too.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Silicone in everyday life

+1

Silicone is in virtually every product you use on a daily basis.  It is what makes expensive facial creams feel nice, deodorants spread nicely and hair products produce smooth effects.  It is in every makeup product as well.  It is pretty much ubiquitous you can find it in everything!  The molecule you are referring to is just one of the many  that exist in breast implants and many consumer products.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

+1

Practically speaking, the answer is no. Polydimethylsiloxane is a form of silicone, which is ubiquitous. Silicone is a necessary element for our body. The compound is medical grade in breast implants and nothing is medical grade in Chicken McNuggets, although polydimethylsiloxane is used to keep the chicken from boiling over in the cooking process. I would forget any similarities that you might read about. The main similarity is that they are both present on the planet earth.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon