Breast implants after double lung transplant?

I am waiting on a double lung transplant because i have Cystic Fibrosis. I have talked to my doctor and he said it was ok that after transplant i could get breast implants. (i have been wanting them but because i am sick i can't get them) i was so excited that he said it was safe and that people get can get major surgery after transplants and have no issues at all, so he couldn't see why implants would be any issue. how long after transplant do you think is safe to wait before getting implants?

Transplant

+1

I would advise you to wait until you have had your lung transplant and you are in a stable condition before proceeding to any other surgery.

Congratulations on Your Transplant

+1

Congratulations on your transplant!  I think once your transplant surgeon would be comfortable with performing the breast augmentation, you should find a plastic surgeon you trust to perform it.  Best of luck.

Lung transplant

+1

Hold on a second - if you are getting a lung transplant, then presumably you will be taking a large number of immune-suppressing medications to prevent rejection of the lungs, particularly in the first few months after the transplant.  

These can slow down healing, increase the risk of infection, and have other influences on subsequent surgery, like breast augmentation.  I'm not so sure that it would be a wise idea to do this.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast implants

+1

The surgeon you should ask would be the transplant surgeon.  I agree that it would probably be okay, but the transplant doctor should have the final say in your situation.  Best of luck with your transplant surgery.  I am sure it will go great!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast implants after transplant

+1

there no specific contraindications to breast augmentation in a patient after transplant.of course, a dream approach is recommended, more attention to all details and a close follow up on the patients. nice to hear that you are so determined to the target of the breast. really a strong character. compliments 

Alberto Di Giuseppe, MBBS
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants after transplant

+1

It is possible to get implants after transplant surgery , but that will have to be determined by your pulmonologist and transplant doctor. Goof luck!

Breast augmentation after organ transplantation

+1

Our only experience has been with kidney transplantation and breast augmentation, and once you are well recovered, with a 'team' approach augmentation can be a safe procedure. It is wonderful that your physicians are understanding and supportive. Our bias would be for a saline prosthesis which can be easier to monitor and replace. Avoid a rush as to when you might be ready.

Breast augment after lung transplant

+1

First, let's pray that your proposed transplant goes smoothly.  I would have concern about the lifetime immunosuppression regimen that the operation will require and would be very conservative about elective cosmetic surgery, particularly involving a foreign body such as an implant.  I would encourage you not to rush into anything and focus on enjoying a life with healthy lungs!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast implants after double lung surgery

+1

Faith:

I hope and pray that your double lung surgery is successful. My concern here is that you will probably be on significant immunosuppressive drugs after surgery for the lung transplant. I do not have any experience with lung transplant, but I do have a fair amount of experience with kidney, heart, pancreas and liver transplants from my general surgical residency training. All of these patients were placed on significant amounts of medication to prevent rejection and this happens by way of suppressing your bodie's ability to fight infection. This may increase your risk for infection after surgery (although it doesn't mean that his will happen) and maybe even increase your risk for the development of certain malignanices possibly including breast cancer (although Im not sure if this is true for breast cancer specifically).

I would suggest that you consult a breast surgeon to see if it is safe for you to proceed with breast augmentation surgery based upon which immunosuppressive drugs you will be placed on and your family history for breast cancer if any, and discuss your immunosupressive regimen with your plastic surgeon and thoracic surgeon/pulmonologists to see just what extra risks there may be to determine if it is worth proceeding.

I wish you the very best for your transplant.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation after Lung Transplant?

+1

Dear Faith,

Thank you for the question.  I am sure that it has not been easy living with cystic fibrosis;  hopefully, you will be able to  proceed with the lung transplant surgery in the near future.

There is  no specific amount of time necessary to wait before undergoing breast augmentation surgery once you have undergone the double lung transplant. If I were you, I would exercise patience and be in no hurry to proceed with the breast surgery. Make sure you consider all the potential risks/complications associated with breast surgery;  for example, if immunosuppression is part of your post operative regimen ( after lung transplant),  you may be at higher risk for infection compared to the patient who is not immunosuppressed.

After your lung transplant, your surgeon and pulmonologist will be your best resource when it comes to  determining whether or not it is safe to proceed with elective breast surgery.  If so, they will be communicating with your plastic surgeon  and anesthesiologist in regards to the optimal timing, specific precautions to take,  and management of medications that you will likely be using.

Best wishes for a successful lung transplant.  Hopefully this will happen for you soon!