Breast Implants Bigger Than 300cc for a Small Frame?

I just went to a consultation for breast implants and was disappointed when the doctor told me the largest I can go for my small frame is 300 cc. I didn't feel that was large enough for what I was hoping for. I'd like to use the gel implants, and found some moderate and high-profile ones online. My doctor didn't mention that as an option. Is it one in my case?

300cc is probably too big for you

+4

To get 300cc, you have to have a breast base width of aobut 12 cm, and even wider than that if your breast is firm, full, or tight.

You have to decide what you want:: a natural looking breast that looks attractive, or a larger but faker looking breast with an implant too large for your tissues that will thin and stretch your tissues over time. Which do you want? Generally a patient must deciee between the two. You can't have any size you want and still look natural in most cases.

And high profile is not the asnwer. First they generally look very round and fake. Second, they put a lot of pressure on the breast envelope. You can't simply stretch the breast wtih impunity and not expect htere tob e longetrm consequences to the tissue, and even creating a crater in the rib cage. These implants were designed for breast reconstructdion after mastectomy and have little practical utility for augmentation patients who wish to look natural and best preserve the quality of their tissues.

What you need to do is go to a surgeon with an understanding of tissue based planning and simply accept the implant that objecively is the optimal fit for your tissue

I simply don't understand how it came to be that so many patients think that they can have any size they want shoved into their breasts, look good no matter what the size, and won't damage their tissue over the long term. If you shoved a size 8 foot into size 7 shoes, would you not expect the shoe to stretch and or squish and reshape the foot over time? It's no different when an overly large implant is shoved within a small and tight breast.

Tissue based planning is the key!.

Selecting a breast implant of the correct size.

+2
Discussing breast implants in cc's or even cup size can be difficult.  It is far better to use photos as a communication tool in addition to having your plastic surgeon speak to you about the size and shape of the implant he or she thinks is best for you.

Biodimensional planning is essential in finding the ideal breast implant size. If a plastic surgeon says 300 cc is as large as you should go, that's probably correct. There certainly are plastic surgeons who will allow you to make the decision yourself, but you may end up with many problems that can arise from too-large implants.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

If a plastic surgeon recommends smaller implants trust his/her judgement

+2

My experience is that most plastic surgeons are very liberal when they recommend breast implants. In fact, most plastric surgeons err on the side of too large implants because we know that after a year, most women say they wish they had larger implants than the ones that they chose.

If your doctor feels 300cc is the largest size your frame will accomodate then chances are he/she is correct.

Be careful about shopping around for another surgeon-I always recommend a second opinion, but if you persist you will find someone who will put larger implants in and you may be unhappy with the result.

Having said all of that, I now notice that you are 5 foot 7 inches tall. and 105 pounds. You may well be able to accomodate 350cc implants and the high profiles do have narrower base widths.

A second opinion should help you decide.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

I would get another consultation with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon

+1

Erin, thanks for your question. As you are well aware, there are different size and shape gel breast implants available. Certainly your body proportions, dimensions, and physical activities are important factors when choosing the appropriate size implants that would best serve you.

A major goal of plastic surgery is to provide our patients with harmony between the size of their breast implants and the size and shape of their body. In other words, we do not want our patients to appear over operated with unnatural appearing breasts! We typically have our prospective patients “try on” the implants by placing them into their bra. This helps provide you with additional insight as to the fit.

I would seek an additional consultation with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon to get another point of view.

I hope this helps!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Explore your options, but stay within limitations!

+1

Hi,

Your doctor had some reasoning behind suggesting 300cc as the largest you should go. If you have a small frame, it is not wise to get implants that are too big for you. This can result in stretching and thinning of your breast tissue and possible sagging. Therefore, you would most likely need another surgery in the future to correct this. If fake looking breasts are what you desire, then high profile implants might be an option. However, if you want a natural looking enhancement, it would be best to stay within the limitations of your body as suggested by your doctor. Of course, I would have to examine you to concur with his opinion.

Second opinions are never a bad idea, especially when it comes to surgery and your body. You want to feel absolutely comfortable with your options and your decision. It is important to keep in mind that what you want and what your body can handle may not be a reality for you, but explore your options.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Slightly larger is okay depending...

+1

I harp on this a lot but the implant should be chosen to make the breasts proportionate to the body. The shoulders, waist, hips and buttock all have to be evaluated and the implant chosen accordingly. I have my patients wear a sports bra and then try on sizers. I have a lot of small frame patients and the implants typically range from 275-340cc. I also depends on your age and what you want to project in terms of body appearance. So go back, try on some sizers and choose the ones you like the best. But be sure to know all of the risks and benefits to all.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

There are many options for breast implants and sizes

+1

Given the wide variety of implant profiles now available, we currently have more options available to us compared to twenty years ago.

Ultimately the limit on the size depends on the diameter of your current breast as well as the skin laxity and parenchymal distribution.

Do not feel limited by what one surgeon had recommended. Seek other opinions and review photos online to get an idea. There are many websites that catergorize patientls by their height, weight, preop breast size and breast implants. Review these photos to get an idea of the results you desire.

How big can you go?

+1

Each patient has a limit of how big an implant can be inserted reasonably into them. This is limited by their base dimension behind the breast and the nature of their skin envelope over the breast.

If you have a narrow chest wall, you can't put in a wider implant and the ony way you can go larger is with a higher profile implant which will look more unnatural the more size it contains.

Each patient has limitations and needs to recognize what their body will allow and won't allow them to have. That's just life...

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implants and small frame

+1

If you were not comfortable with your doctor, you should go see someone else.  There are many options of implants that possibly could accommodate your frame.    If you were not happy with the first doctor, than I recommend seeing another.

It's a real mistake to get implants that are too big.

+1

Hi!

You have no idea how many patients we have seen in New York who regret their huge breast implants. They look fake and they age badly.

I am sure I would agree with your plastic surgeon. 300 cc implants will make you 2 or 3 cup sizes bigger. You have to stay within the safe dimensions of your chest.

High profile implants may be a good option for you. It depends on the details of your anatomy. Either high profile or moderate PLUS profile.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)