Breast Implants over 26 Yrs Old. I Am 71 and They Now Bother Me, What to Do?

71 years old, had breast implants @ 34 yrs old. Now they are bothering me. See on x-ray the leakage. I can no longer sleep on stomach. They hurt and ache from time to time. They are almost rock hard. Should I just leave them alone or what? Just went for chest x-ray and tech pushed down hard and I yelled! It hurt.

Managment of 30 year old silicone implants

+3

With implants in for that period of time in conjunction with the symptoms you are experiencing, the implants need to be removed. It is up to you and your surgeon to determine if this can be paired with implant replacement and/or a breastlift. Oftentimes insurance will pay for removal of the implants and the surrounding scar tissue which is uncomfortable. Note - if you would like and you are a good candidate, consider implant replacement and anything else you might be interested in!

Web reference: http://www.drshermak.com/breast-surgery-baltimore/breast-implant-revision/

Leaking implants

+3
Your pain is not caused by the leaking but rather because there are capsules of scar tissue which formed around the implants. If you are able to pass medical clearance for surgery, I could recommend removing the implants and cleaning up the capsules. The decision of whether to reaugment or perform a breast lift would take into consideration your needs, finances and other concerns.

Older/painful breast implants?

+3

There is no question in my mind, assuming you are in good health and can tolerate a brief surgical procedure, that you should have the implants removed. Whether you choose to replace them is a personal decision. Your implants  have leaked, have encapsulated and are causing you significant discomfort and probably interfering with the quality of your mammograms as well.

I would suggest consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can review your history (both medical and surgical),  your symptoms, your goals as well as treatment options.

Congratulations on your 30 year run with your current breast implants;  it's time to say goodbye to them.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Hard, painful, older breast implants

+2

It sounds like you have severe capsular contracture.  In cases like yours, I would recommend removing the implants with or without replacement.  This is a relatively straightforward operation.  It could possibly be done with local anesthesia with mild sedation in a board certified plastic surgeons office skilled in local anesthetic for this kind of thing.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com/breast-surgery-utah/breast-implant-revision/

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Painful Implants

+2

It sounds like the best option for you is to have the implants removed.  Depending on your health and anatomy, you may want to consider having them replaced at the time of removal.  Or you can choose have no replacement.  

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Old implants

+2

of course have them removed!!  whether you have them replaced or not is another matter.  please go to a qualifies surgeon to help you make that decision

Newark Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants over 26 Yrs Old. I Am 71 & They Now Bother Me, What to Do?Answer:

+2

It’s time to have a sit down with a Board Cert Plastic Surgeon and go over all your options. It really depends on your goals and your health. Options range from removal of the implants and their capsules, to putting new ones back in, to having a lift done as well. But it does require some thought and a nice long talk with a surgeon that you trust and feel comfortable with. But with the pain and the leaking, I think it’s time to get them addressed..

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants that are 26 years old

+1

I would remove these implants.  you will be more comfortable:

1. remove and replace
  2. remove alone
  3. remove and lift
  4. remove, replace and lift

Implants and pain

+1

More than likely you have capsular contracture based upon your description. You should have an evaluation and consider removal or replacement.  Good luck.

+1

You need evaluation, mammogram, MRI and than possible removal/replacement surgery. seek medical care.