Can I Get Breast Implants and an Arm Lift During the Same Surgery and How Long is the Recovery Time for Both Procedures at Once?

I underwent gastric bypass surgery in 11/2010. I am in need of plastic surgery to fix my sagging skin that is left on my body. I just had a tummy tuck a week ago and am planning on having breast augmentation plus an arm lift two 6-8 weeks after the tummy tuck. Is this option ok? I will have a thigh lift next year so figured I would break down the procedures safely. What would be the total operating time if I decide to have both an arm lift and breast augmentation? Thank you for your insights!

Combined Breast Augmentation and Arm Lift After Weight Loss

+2

Combining a breast augmentation with an arm lift is a perfectly acceptable.  Patients that lose dramatic amounts of weight often require multiple procedures to achieve their aesthetic goals.  The main factors determining the safety of combined procedures includes your overall health status, the time required under anesthesia, and the comfort level of the surgeon performing the procedure. 

In weight loss patients, performing an arm lift with a breast augmentation can be a good idea, since the excess arm skin can blend with the side of the chest/breast area.  It is always best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to help you determine what is safe for you.  Congratulations on losing the weight and good luck with your upcoming procedures!

Arm lift and Breast Augmentation

+2

These procedures can easily be done at the same setting.  Expect to wear an arm garment following your surgery for several weeks.  I would wear it all the time with the exception of bathing.  Get a couple of garments, so that you can have a clean one at all times.  Usually a healthy person can have these surgeries 6 to 9 weeks following a tummy tuck. Consult with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) regarding your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Multiple procedures

+1

You can have them done at the same time but it is dependent on anesthesia time. There are many causes for flabby arms. Incisions can be very small or large depending on location of fat. If one has flabby arms, the best indicator of the treatment would be the elasticity of the skin.  If the skin has good elasticity, then Liposuction alone may be the answer.  If not, then an arm lift to resect the excess skin is best.  However, the best indication for an arm lift, and the most gratifying are those who have lost a lot of weight.  The skin is usually flabby and overstretched.  It is simple and effective to remove the skin that has been stretched past its capacity.  No Liposuction, or other noninvasive modalitiy will help the skin become more firm around the arms.  The length and type of the incision will vary depending upon the location and the amount of fat in the arms.  The cost will also vary by geographic locale.  Most will run anywhere from $3500-$7000.  I would advise you to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to have treatment recommendations specific to your concerns.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Doing Breast Augmentation and Arm Lift at the same time

+1

Combining both procedures at the same time can be accomplished as long as you are in good health. Typically arm lift takes about 2 to 3 hours while breast augmentation takes about one hour to complete. If breast lift is required then the total surgical time will increase. 

Stewart Wang, MD FACS

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

ARM LIFTS, BREAST LIFTS AND AUGMENTATIONS CAN BE PERFORMED AT THE SAME TIME

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss and starting with that first step of reconstructive plastic surgery after weight loss. 

If there is excess skin in the armpit or axillary region, this can be combined with the breast lift. Excess skin that hangs over the bra strap line can also be taken care of during the breast lift with a vertical torsoplasty or combined with the breast lift. 
Total operating time for an arm lift with an incision from the armpit to the elbow combined with a full breast lift or an anchor incision with implants typically would be between 5 to 8 hours. 
I recommend that the patient take approximately 2 weeks off from work to allow for complete healing. 
Typically, I do not use drains for either of these procedures.

Good luck with your surgery.  Please feel free to visit my website for before and after arm lift pictures.
Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Arm Lifting and Breast Surgery Combined?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss.

Yes, breast surgery and arm lifting surgery can be combined together nicely. Depending  on the specific surgeon and exactly what is done,  operating times generally range between 3 to 4 hours.

Arms and breasts

+1

Yes assuming your overall health is good.The time will vary from one surgeon to the next but I would say around 3 hours.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get Breast Implants and an Arm Lift During the Same Surgery

+1

Because of the proximity of the breast and arms this is a common combination procedure in massive weight loss patients, Provided your recovery from the TT is unremarkable, a 6 to 8 week wait seems completely appropriate. 

You might check with your surgeon about starting you on iron to allow for prompt restoration of red blood cells you have lost during the first procedure to minimize the chance of a delay caused by anemia.

Surgery time should be 2 to 4 hours, but will vary according to what is being done and who is doing it. 

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Arm LIft and Breast Implants

+1

I would be surprised if you did not also need abreast lift with your implants. These surgeries can and should be done at the same time. We all operate at different speeds so as long as you are not asleep longer than 6 hours I think you will do great. 

Dr. Kearney

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon