Will my Breast Implants Drop?

I had my Breast surgery 18/02/11 and I was a B cup, I am 5'0 108lbs I got 300 cc smooth round moderate plus silicone implants. I'm still very sore and swollen. My question is when they heal more and soften up will they drop? I like the way look being perky and not slumping down. Also what size would I be now? Im stuck trying to figure it out.

Will my Breast Implants Drop?

+2

Dear Vancouver3876:

The immediate answer is that "yes, your breast implants should drop".

The underlying issue is how much more settling (dropping) you will get, and how symmetrical your breasts will be.

From your question it appears you are not that far out from the placement of your breast implants. In my practice I like to see the majority of the settling to occur over the first 6 to 8 weeks. 

During this initial post-operative period I follow my breast augmentation patients closely to monitor their healing, and also the settling of the implants (especially if placed under the pectoral muscle).  I see the first 2 months as a window of opportunity to achieve the best setttling, and also symmetry. 

I tell my patients that if the settling, or symmetry is not adequate by 3 months, then they may require a surgical adjustment of the now formed pockets surrounding the breast implant...this is called a capsule adjustment.

I hope this helps,

Sergio Pasquale Maggi, M.D.

Wait

+1
The full results of your surgery are still not apparent as it generally takes about three to four months. By that time, your breasts will have dropped and tissue expansion will create a more natural breast contour, with more fullness in the lower portion of the breasts. Your implants won't be sitting so high. Please wait until then to evaluate your results. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Implants will "drop" sooner or later, but degree of drop depends on many factors

+1

Breasts with or without implants will drop or sag with time due to the constant effects of gravity.  Other factors also contributes to the degree of drop such as whether the implants were placed above or below the muscle, the degree of skin laxity or tone you have to begin with, and even the type of bra that you wear. 

Since you just had your operation, it will take several weeks for the swelling and soreness to settle down and the breasts to soften and yes, they will lose some of the initial "perkiness." 

Roughly speaking, regarding your size, assuming you are a 34B, your initial cup size would vary around 275 to 325 cc depending on the manufacturer of the bra.  Adding to that the 300cc of breast implants would give you a final volume of around 600 cc which is a large C, medium D or even a small E -- again, depending on the manufacturer. 

Steve Lee, MD

Implants dropping

+1

It is way too early to be concerned about final size and position.  Your tissues will stretch out a little, the swelling will resolved and your implants will likely settle over the next weeks to months.  I don't  "pass judgement"  intil 2 - 3 months after surgery.  Be sure to bring up your concerns with your surgeon.  He/she should be able to offer you some reassurance.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Postoperative concerns

+1

It's now more than a week after your surgery and there are several good answers to your concerns including that your surgeon should have prepared you for the postoperative issues and should be responsive to your questions. It is also true that a good surgeon doesn't just do an operation but is there for the recovery and followup. Such a surgeon should obviate the need for asking questions online. 

The way to understand any surgery involved with an implant is that the implant has to be sized properly, positioned properly, and filled properly (if it's saline-filled). That's the job of the surgeon at the operation. The implant then has to heal properly in the correct position that it was placed in. For breast implants that happens within the first two weeks. Then the tissues around the implant have to recover just as they would around a hip or knee implant. This only takes a month or two for simple breast augmentation. Things like scar maturing and nerve settling can take a year or more. 

I disagree that gravity moves implants after an operation or that they change position or "drop". It doesn't make sense to put an implant in one location and hope that it ends up somewhere else. What is happening is that the tissues below the implant are the most affected and are the most stiff and reactive. The tissue above the implants are the least affected. This affects the look of the breast and makes it look as if the implants are high and like they drop when the tissues lose their stiffness on the underside. The same thing happens with any implant that has differential tissue reaction around it.

It is not worth worrying about the look and feel of the breast in the first two weeks as long as the implants were placed correctly and they are healing correctly. The size is also not possible to measure exactly before the surgery and particularly in the first few weeks after the surgery. The result in terms of size expectations should have been discussed before the surgery and the result should end up what it was expected to be within the limits of gauging size in breasts.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants will take time to "drop"

+1

Generally speaking it takes about three months for breast implants to "settle" or "drop" after breast augmentation surgery.  Especially when they are placed under the pectoral muscle.  The implants will appear high and round at first but as your chest muscles adapt to the implant, they will take on a more natural look. This can take anywhere from one to four months.

Early massaging can help expedite the process.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

High implants

+1

Implants can take weeks to settle down and if the pocket is done right and the muscle released adequately then the implants will drop, you are still too early postop and without pictures its tough to tell.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Breast Implants

+1

During the first six weeks, the shape, firmness, and location of implants will gradually change.  Swelling may persist up to 3 months.  It is likely you will still remain perky, but the implants are likely to drop somewhat.  Photos would be helpful for a more detailed answer.

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Yes, of course

+1

Vancouver,

Of course your implants will "drop".  Gravity is constant.  You can determine your size by trying on bras after your swelling has resolved, which will be at least 6 weeks.  Your surgeon or his/her office staff can answer all of these questions for you. 

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast Implant Recovery

+1

You are immediately post op, so you likely have swelling from the surgery.   The implants will soften and settle slightly.  However, everyone is different.  Without before and after pictures, it is impossible to give you more specific advice. 

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD