Breast Implant Sliding While Lying on Back

I had a primary breast aug with 210cc silicone unders one month ago. For the first week they both stood forward while lying on my back. Then at the end of week one possibly due to over massaging one implant started sliding about 1 inch toward my armpit(the other stays in place). What can be done to stop this implant from sliding-it looks and feels strange. Otherwise I am very happy with my ba. Could it heal in place now? If not what type of process is needed to get it to stand like the other? TY

Sliding implants

+1

Since you are so near your surgery date, I believe binding your breasts in an underwire bra and also a bandeau to limit their motion for a number of weeks might allow the larger pocket on the mobile side to close off and for you to get less mobility of the implant.

Breast augmentation

+1

Implants will move when you lie on your back. Your implants are not very large so I wouldn't expect them to move that much but just like real breasts implants cannot defy gravity. So depending on the shape of your ribs they may move a little laterally or up towards you armpit. The side that doesn't move as much is the one that probably has a little bit more of a capsule around it which is preventing it from moving as much.

David E. Kim, MD

Spreading Implants

+1

Unfortunately, not much can be done to prevent an implant from sliding under your arm. This problem is to be expected when;

• pockets are made too wide, or
  • the patients forced the implant out by massaging to rigorously or
  • by lying on the stomach.

You may need a pocket closure surgery in the future.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Breast implant sliding to the armpit

+1

The likely explanation for this problem is that the pocket for the implant has opened up in that direction.  This is more likely if the implants are under the muscle.  If early enough (within six weeks from the surgery) the problem can be fixed by wearing a tube top that compresses you on the sides preventing the implant from sliding out.  Hopefully, with this, that space on the side will scar down and the implant will stay put where you want it.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant shift

+1

This is normal. Your skin is stretching and the implants will move and settle. They are small implants so they will be more mobile sooner. I would follow up with your plastic surgeon. I recommend that my patients wear a sports bra for six weeks after surgery that does not dig into the incision. You are way too early to massage the implants and I would stop doing so.

Good Luck,

Leo Lapuerta MD

Triple Board Recertified Plastic Surgery

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Breast Implant Moving

+1

The appearance and feel of breast implants changes during the first few months.  You will likely be fine.  No you did not over massage.   Possibly both implants will move similar in a month or two.  There is nothing that can or should be done.  Keep up good healing and go see your surgeon.  See what he thinks.  Since it is unlikely anything needs to be done and speculation about procedure is impossible.  Good Luck.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - Position of Implant Post-Op, Sliding into Axilla

+1

Hi Red Head in Miami, FL,

You'll (obviously) need to speak with your plastic surgeon about this.  There are many reasons why this may be occurring and it is quite possible that something can be done to help it heal the way you'd like.  You may need to wear a strap, or perhaps you can be taped.

That being said, it's clearly better when implants behave exactly as intended; ie, the right size, position, etc.  There are defined goals with each surgical procedure but, unfortunately, it is not possible to offer guarantees with surgery in general and, perhaps even more so, with implants in particularly. 

Contact your PS and see if you can get an explanation for why this might be happening and, either way, find out what can be done at this point.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS