Usual Protocol for Breast Implant Sizing During Consultation?

I recently went for a consultation with a plastic surgeon for breast implants. Is it normal for the doctor to talk to me about size, but not actually sit with me to view the different breast implant sizes? After the consultation with the doctor, he brought in his assistant to fit me for the implants; however, he was not present. Is this the usual protocol?

Sizing breast augmentations

+2

Everyone has a different protocol.  I spend time with the patient and suggest what size range will give them the best result.  I remain present for the patient to try the implant I select and one slightly bigger and smaller, then give them ample time with an assistant to switch implants and lookk in the mirror.  There is no right or wrong wat to do this as long as all the importnt information is conveyed to the patient and the patient is comfortable with the decision.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Breasts sizing protocol

+1

The use of sizers in your bra  preoperatively does not accurately correlate with the size of breasts achieved with sub muscular implants. I think that it is very important that you communicate clearly with your surgeon to maximize the chances of achieving your desired breast size.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.

I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Implant choices

+1

If the doctor spent tiem reviewing options and implant choices, it is perfectly appropriate for a staff member to show you different implants.

VIDEO (Click HERE) Usual Protocol for Breast Implant Sizing During Consultation?

+1

In a larger volume practice, it is not uncommon for the assistant to help spend time with the patient  and zero in on the desired size while educating the patient .The assistant will then consult with the physician or request further advice if there are any remaining questions or concerns. It is not the job fo rthe surgeon ot choose the size but to guide the patient in selection of a particular size or shape as well as the potential conseqeunces of that decision.

Protocol for breast implant sizing during consultation

+1

Dear Neityus,

As regards "Is it normal for the doctor to talk to me about size, but not actually sit with me to view the different sizes of the implants?". Every Plastic surgeon has evolved his/her own way to go through this process.

As you can see from the sheer volume of "WHICH IMPLANT IS BEST FOR ME? type question posted for us on RealSelf.com, a lot of women are STILL not properly educated on what is involved in making the right choice for them. The paramount point is that before you are lying on an OR table, you must be informed on all your options.

Personally, I like to be part of the process of implant choice process because I want to SEE that "AHAAA moment" when a patient understands which implants may work for her (based on her breast volume and stretchiness, width and slope of the chest, positions of the nipples etc). Once my patient seems to understand the thinking behind implant choice, I can leave and allow someone else to take over. BUT, that being said, this is my personal preference and I do not find fault with the ways other colleagues perform this educational process.

It is up to you to asses if your educational needs were met or not. If not, vote with your feet and see as many board certified plastic surgeons as it takes until you find one you are comfortable with.

Good Luck.

Breast implant sizes.

+1

Hi!

1) There are 2 key steps in getting the right breast implant size. First, make sure your surgeon really knows the look you want. Show him pictures.

2) Second, your surgeon needs to put disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery to see what looks best without any guess work.

3) You may find the breast augmentation page on my web site helpful (link below).

4) It sounds like you did not have a reassuring consultation. Get another opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant consultation and sizing

+1

Your experience sounds appropriate-as long as you felt you received all the information you needed. There is a lot of information to convey and this PROCESS many times is facilitated by several members of the plastic surgeons team.

One of the most important parts of this process, in addition to your exam and measurements-is the communication between you, the doctor and the staff.

This process may be quite involved and to assure you get as much time as you need, in many plastic surgeons offices different members of the staff participate. You should feel comfortable with the completeness of the information and if you have any questions schedule another visit.

John E. Gross, MD

Protocol for breast implant sizing

+1

Hi Neityus. This is perfectly appropriate. The important thing is that this was done. Many offices handle it this way because they want the patient to take their time during this process. However, you should feel very comfortable asking your surgeon any questions you have about your surgery, including about the size of your implants. Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD