Breast Implant Size?

I am 5'7", 120 lbs, bra size 32A. I am hoping to be a full/large 32C. My doctor says saline sub muscular 280cc implants will make me a full C cup. I am concerned that 280cc may be too small however I don't know if I should question my doctors judgement. I have heard that the number one regret of breast augmentation patients is not going larger so I am wondering if I should ask for 325-350cc implants? My only concern is that if I go larger they may look fake or the implant will show.

Implant Selection Process

+1

If you go under the muscle, I would recommend 300-350 cc.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Breast implant sizing

+1

There are some general principles to consider for this question.

There are no specifics for cup size or breast size based on cc's of volume. You don't want to start from a chosen implant size and work backward any more than you start from a chosen dress size and work backward. The size of a 32 C cup is not the same as a 34 or a 36 C cup. The best way to avoid being dissatisfied with results is to have a realistic idea of what the result should be.

In general, the maximum size increase with implants that fit and look natural and avoid problems is two cup sizes. If you are a mid A cup now, the way to achieve a mid C cup is to make sure the implant diameter is about 1 cm less than the diameter of your breast (upright, with arms down). A high profile saline-filled implant (Allergan) in that diameter will make you look like a mid C cup in the subpectoral position. In gel-filled implants either manufacturer has a high profile implant scaled to the width that will achieve the same thing but will feel more natural on the lateral and underside of your breast where the muscle doesn't cover. The number of cc's is looked up in the chart of available implants after the diameter and profile choice/effect is known.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size?

+1

I think that some more discussion with the surgeon is in order. I like to have my patients try on implants, and use the size of the trial implants as a guide to choosing the ones to be used at surgery. There are no fixed definitions of cup size, and I think with your current size and the implants under consideration, you would be able to find B's C's and D's that would fit, so I find cup size to be less helpful than many patients seem to. 

The last issue you raise I cannot comment on without at least photos. 

I note that you are considering saline, and hope you have at least considered the pros and cons of silicone gel. 

All the best. 

Choosing breast implants

+1

This can only be done in person with an experienced plastic surgeon whose work looks like what you want.  You need to communicate the "look" you want which can then be translated into your best implant.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implant size/type

+1

At 5'7" and 120 lbs and 32A cup you must be rather thin and likely have very little breast tissue to camouflage your implant. You should look into high profile silicone gel implants which pack more volume into a narrower diameter and have significantly less rippling than saline implants. Natrelle style 20 implants are my preferred implants and my patient satisfaction is extremely high. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

+1

As you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise  advice online.
 It sounds like, based on your description, that you may benefit from additional  time spent with your plastic surgeon…

The best online general advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “full C” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.