Breast Implant Size for Uneven Breasts?

I have one breast almost a full cup size bigger. I am getting gel breast implants, under the muscle. The surgeon suggested up to 100 cc difference in size. The lady fitting me went 50 cc even though she did not have that implant size to try out, and the one she had was the next size up and looked fine. What do you reccomend?

Uneven breasts are very common

+3

For fixing and evening out the size difference there is a limitation. If you place bigger implant n the smaller breast ,since there is less skin ,you will get more lift . This will cause even size but uneven shape. The other issue is the dimensions of the breast implant and implants get wider as you get bigger and this will cause more uneven shape. In general there is a compromise between the fixing the size and shape and I try to place implants that are not more than 50 c.c different

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+2

Breast asymmetry is very common.  Whent he breasts are significantly different, I will put in different size implants. But this is carefully evaluated in the office. I couldn't possibly suggest anything to you without the exam.

Breast Symmetry or Asymmetry with Augmentation or Enlargement with implants.

+2

This is not as precise as we would like it due to several factors including under or over the muscle as well as tissue and breast compliance.

When managing breast asymmetry, use of preoperative sizers as well as intraoperative sizers are employed to help in the proper implant selection. External sizers such as the one your bra lady used underestimate the size due to the muscle compression factor.

Furthermore Breasts are normally asymmetric. So to have a little uneveness after surgery is normal and to be expected.

Sometimes, I use suction assisted lipectomy intraoperatively to further minimize the degree of asymmetry as well as to diminsh the size difference between left and right breast implants.

I have serveral youtube videos on breast asymmetry if you are interested.

Breast Augmentation Size for Uneven Breasts

+1

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require for your uneven breasts without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast implant sizing

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast implant size has to be worked out in person

+1

Asymmetrical breasts are very common and a sizing session is not always able to determine exactly what size needs to be used. The surgeon may make an estimate based on experience, but the actual choice comes during surgery when the sizers are placed and the result is examined. You have to be able to trust your surgeon, and sometimes seeing more than one person can give you a better feeling of what to expect. Good luck.

Dr. Cuber

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant size decision should be made in person

+1

It is impossible for anyone who has not seen you to give you any specific information about size of implants or the type of procedure that you will need. Generally, it is important to evaluate size and shape. The implant size can be determined most closely by using sizers in the operating room. The preoperative sessions give you an idea but the final size is selected in the operating room. It is also important to understand that there will be shape differences too. Sometimes, nothing needs to be done. Other times, various forms of breast lift may be appropriate.

Make sure you address both size and shape with your surgeon in person. Good luck.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Corecting breast assymetry

+1

There is more to correcting breast asymmetry than the size of the implants. Things to consider and discus are: Dimensions of breasts. The nipple positions. The quality and quantity of soft tissues. The implant size can be finalized during surgery by using a sizer.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+1

What I generally do on breast asymmetry cases like your self is have the patient use the rice test (description posted on my journal) and try to even out the breast as best as possible. At that point I find out what the difference was. This is just an estimate and in the operating room I use sizers to help determine the difference between the 2 breasts and choose the right implant sizes.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Best approach for choosing implant size for uneven breasts

+1

Dear Jmb9494,

All of us have our own preferred ways to pick implants.

Based on your question, I would ask to see the surgeon and get his opinion on which implant he would prefer. That behind you, I would ALSO ask that he use sizers (temporary breast implants) DURING the surgery to a get a more accurate idea of what the implants look like IN YOU.

The implants chosen based on sizer placement will NOT be perfect since it is very hard to get perfect breast symmetry, BUT the breasts will be much more symmetrical than had the sizers not been used.

Hope this was helpful.