High Profile Breast Implant Size to Achieve D Cup?

I'm 5'0", 103 lbs, and currently a saggy/deflated 34 B. I'm looking into 380 cc or 420 cc breast implants and was hoping to achieve a "D" size. My doctor is recommending high profiles to counter my current sag and low nipple position but I want to know what size will assure my breasts will be a small/full D. What size, along with the high profiles, do you think will achieve this?

Breast Implant Sizing

+2
Those do sound like some pretty large implants for you body. There are many things that come into play to how large you are going to be and it is very difficult to tell you online how large you will be with those implants but from what you are telling us, 420 cc is a bit on the large size.
What I do recommend is doing the Rice Test. It is a simple test you do at home with a sports bra, rice, panty hose and measuring cup. You can read up on it on my website under the journal tab. But essentially it will give you an idea what size implant you will need to achieve the look you are going for.
Good luck.

D Cup Breast Implant Size

+1
Breast Implants to Reach a D Cup
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant that will give your breasts a lift without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Toronto BBA

+1

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Implant volume and final cup size

+1

It is very difficult to predict final cup size after an implant, and even more difficult to size a patient up without an exam. This is gone over with the doctor during consultation.

Countering a low nipple with a large implant

+1

In answering your question, I have two points:

1. Don't choose an implant size larger than is recommended just to avoid a lift. In the end, you won't be happy with the size or shape of your breasts, and will likely need revision surgery, including a lift anyway.

2. It is not possible to accurately predict what cup size you will be after breast augmentation. You need to communicate to your surgeon, possibly by showing photographs of other women, of what you would like in terms of breast volume. Often, the decision of final implant size is best left to the surgeon.

Good luck!

Nirav Savalia, MD

In breast augmentation only the result matters

+1

The question of choosing an implant size is one of the most common questions that we encounter. Choosing the implant to create the look that you hope for is the responsibility of the surgeon who completes your procedure. If your procedure goes well and you are happy with the result the actual implant size will matter very little. With out any experiences how could you ever know whether a 350cc, 450cc implant or any other size is right? Do you really feel that you could put rice in your bra and measure the amount and tell the surgeon what to put in at the time of your procedure? You should spend your effort exploring how full you wish to be, and how you wish to look. It is best to leave the surgery to the surgeon. If your surgeon is asking you to choose the implant, better find another who has the experience to do that for you.

Concerning sagging of the breast, augmentation will help with minor amounts of sagging or dependence of the breast, however if the nipple is even slightly below the fold the implant has a tendency to push the nipple even lower toward the bottom of the breast. Finally, consider that a high profile implant is not a 'natural' appearing implant. We like to consider them similar to a grade 1 encapsulation where an implant just begins to round up and become spherical. A low or moderate profile implant with a capsule becomes a 'high profile' implant in this process. The look of course is not natural, it is rather roundish. Just make sure that you like the look.

peterejohnsonmd

Achieving a D cup

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you have a small frame based upon your height and weight. As a result, the base width of your breast, which is what we use to select implant size, is likely to be small as well. So, I think that your choice of high profile implants is reasonable given your desire to be a D cup. However, I suspect that 380-400 cc implants are going to be much large for your frame, and that you will be able to reach a D cup with a smaller size than that. Keep in mind that while larger implants do provide some lift, they also stretch out the skin and can look unnatural. Also, your idea of a D cup may be different from your surgeon's, so I suggest showing him/her a photo of a another woman (preferably with the same body type) whose breasts you like. Once you have an open discussion, you'll be able to come up with the ideal implant size. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Whoa!!!

+1

Those are pretty big implants for someone your size? You can do it, but be sure that you want to look obviously augmented. And be certain that you are willing to accept that these heavy implants will probably make your skin stretch over time. I do a lot of revision breast surgeries, and one pattern that has emerged to me is women who had babies, needed a lift, but chose a larger implant to avoid the lift. What happens? In order to be filled up and avoid the lfit, they get a larger size than they want and look fake in the short term. And in the long term they stretch, sag, ripple, and need a lift anyhow. Without exmaining you I don't of course know that you are a set up for this. But I can say that some of what you are saying makes me worry about the possibility of such a scenario unfolding for you.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Volume can only lift so much

+1

Increased volume can only lift so much. If you are choosing a larger volume to try and prevent having a breast lift at the same time, then be very careful and consider all your options. It is impossible to predict with 100% certainty your final cup size. However, your surgeon should be able to give you an approximate range.

David Shafer, MD

Implant volume doesn't always predict cup size

+1

It would be easier if we had a better system of measuring breasts other than the cup system, which isn't very accurate, but we are stuck with it. The cup size system is not a pure volume measurement of the size of the breast, so implant size can't predict cup size as accurately as we would like. Just pick a size you like by trying implants in a D cup bra, then your plastic surgeon will decide which implant style has the best match to your base diameter. But for the reasons I mentioned, there can't be a guarantee of cup size regardless of the process used to pick the implant. If they look great, the bra size doesn't really matter anyway.

Richard Baxter, MD