Breast Implant Size to Use After Explantation?

I only had breast implants for 5 weeks. I had them explanted after this time. The implants were 400 cc. A thin capsule was left inside. I am considering now breast implants again due to a very bad outcome from my explant. I now want implants not more than 170-200 cc. Would it be possible, since the pocket was created for 400cc originally? Shall my capsule be removed? What shall I consider before having augmentation again? What are possible complications due to the fact I had explanted before?

Breast implant removal or replacement

+2

If you previously had 400cc implants removed, I would suggest waiting 6 months to one year prior to replacing with 200cc implants. This amount of time will allow for skin contraction/shrinkage and allow for improved blood supply to the breast tissue and skin. Any scar tissue that may be present will soften up in that time period. If the capsule is thin, it doesn't necessarily need to be removed. You are at slightly higher risk of wound healing complications, but the longer you wait, the better your chances of a good result will be.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to your implant replacement.

Unhappy after removal breast implants

+2

Hi Violetta. It seems that you are somewhat ambivalent about this surgery. I think you should consider very carefully after a consultation with one or two plastic surgeons about whether or not this surgery is for you. Why were you unhappy after the first surgery? Were the implants too big? How did it happen that you ended up with implants that were too big? I am concerned you were not armed with the information you needed to make a good decision for yourself. Please ask a lot of questions, in person, of at least 2 board certified plastic surgeons. Armed with information, you can make a good decision. You certainly can have an augmentation with smaller implants and the capsule usually does not have to be removed. You need to speak with a plastic surgeon who will work very closely with you to meet your expectations and select the right size. If you allow enough time between surgeries, at least 3-6 months, the fact that you had previous implants should not greatly affect your complication rate. Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Secondary Smaller Breast Augmentation

+1
My advice would be to wait for at least 6 months for the capsule from your former procedure to contract and allow a smaller implant. This is the simplest and safest approach.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Implant Size to Use After Explantation? GIVE IT TIME

+1

Breast Implant Size to Use After Explantation? GIVE IT TIME. It is way too early. For implants as small as 150 cc, you may want to consider fat grafting as an alternative and forego breast implants altogether.

Implant replacement

+1

A time frame of when your first surgery was would be nice.  The likelihood that a capsule remained after the first one is low, so making a new pocket for the smaller implants should be ok.