11.7cm or 11.2cm Breast Implants for a 13cm BWD?

I'm going to be getting moderate profile silicone implants by Allergan combined with a periareolar lift. My doctor is going to use the dual plane method. My BWD is 13cm with my ribcage being 30". I've been on Allergan's website looking at sizes and the implants that are at my BWD are too big for what I want which is to regain upper pole fullness with little projection. The 2 implant sizes I'm leaning towards have a diameter of 11.7cm or 11.2cm. How much smaller can I go from my BWD?

Breast implant width and chest wall width

+3

The tissues will drape up onto the implant about 1 cm all around the perimeter of the implant so the implant needs to be about 1-1.5 cm less than the full width behind your breast for the optimal look. The narrower the implant, the wider the gap will be between the implants.

So that is the line you walk, smaller implant means wider gap. But pleas realize that in the same profile group, the implants just get wider and have more volume, they don't get bulgier. Consequently, I recommend that you use most of your width in choosing an implant so you won't have the wide gap and regret being too small later.

Implant Sizing

+1
I am sorry to say this here but it is not your final responsibility to choose the right. This is what you board certified plastic surgeon needs to do. You job is to describe and convey to your surgeon the look you are going for and what you would like to achieve, even the ballpark of size wise what you desire.
But the ultimate decision needs to be in the hands of your plastic surgeon as he or she has a lot more knowledge and experience as to what would work better for your body.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast Implants must match the width of your breasts

+1

Without the benefit of examining you, the implants should be within 2 cm of your breast width. Going smaller than that would create a very bizarre appearance. Keep in mind that there a variety of implant volumes and projections that would have the correct base diameter for you, so you should be able to achieve your goals without going "too big".

Choose a Board certified plastic surgeon who performs breast augmentations frequently. If you have adequately explained your goals to your surgeon, trust him or her to choose the right implant and provide you with the results you're looking for.

Good Luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Breast diameter and implant choice with Augmentation mammaplasty

+1

I would not get any smaller than 11 cm but this would depend on your skin pinch, the distribution of your mammary parenchyma and the width of your cleavage and breast separation. Going any smaller could make your breasts appear more separated or inadequately fill your skin envelope.

Breast Implants

+1

Choosing the right implant is important. An implant with a smaller base width diameter than the breast will prevent you from obtaining more cleavage and may not give you the shape that you want.

Sizing Breast Implants based on your BWD

+1

Since you are having a periareolar lift, there should be some caution and concern about using a implant that may be too large or too heavy...that form of lift does not support large implants well.

So the voulme of your implant (in cc's) may limit your implant width choices. If you want as much cleavage as possible, then an implant that is slightly over your BWD may be OK. On the other hand, the perioareolar techniques tend to flatten or truncate the breast some, so a higher profile, narrower implant may be required.

As long as your doc knows your aesthetic desires, and you know the possible limitations, you should get te results you want.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast implant width

+1

Because you want to get upper pole fullness you should go with the widest implant you can tolerate for the amount of projection you want. You probably would do best with a moderateor moderate plus style since these have more width and less projection for any given volume.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and implant sizing

+1

Hi, I would definitely recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon. Going too small will not provide you with the fill you desire. You will need to trust your surgeon's experience in choosing the right implant for your breast shape and goals, as there are so many variables that go into performing any breast augmentation surgery. Have a frank discussion with your surgeon, and if you are not satisfied, seek another opinion. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Breast Implants for a 13 cm BWD

+1

Numbers, numbers UGH! We must look at the patient first, then use any measurements, and previous personal surgical experiences to determine our choice for implant type. Thus we can determine the potential outcome. You see numbers are the same but the appearance of the breasts with the same numbers can be completely different. Without any photos and just your basic measurements I would not try to really give definitive advise. Only a suggestion of using high profile not moderate plus. Good Luck!