are my breast implant scars normal? is there anything i can do to minimize the visibility of the scars?

About a year ago, I had breast implant surgery (silicone). Several months ago, as the swelling decreased and I lost some weight, the scars beneath my breast started to become more noticeable (see attached photo). The scar is visible on both breasts, but is slightly more visible on the right breast, as the left breast hangs a little bit lower than the right one. Is this (i.e., the visible scars) normal or doctor error? Is there anything that can be done to minimize the visibility of these scars?

Scar revision

+2

Your scar appears to have healed well.  There is not any redness or raised evidence of hypertrophy that would indicated troblems healing.   A in offoce local scar revision for the redundant skin should result in a smooth flat incision.  It will have to go through all the wound healing phase once again.  Good luck.

Visibility of scar

+2

your scar has matured. that is, it is not red or raised. I would proceed with a minor revision to replace the scar in the IMF, inframammary fold. not really a big deal and I would do it if the scar bothers you. good luck.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation scars

+2

Dear MKY,

The scar, or at least the loose skin around the scar is indeed visible in the photo that you have sent.  If your weight loss was significant, I would suggest that as the reason that the skin has become loose and now visible.  If that is the case, your plastic surgeon might have to do a little skin tightening at the scar site.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Unhappy with breast augmentation scar

+1

Without photos to compare your immediate postoperative result from your present one, it would only be conjecture to assign a relationship to weight loss. As regards your concern about "doctor error", everyone heals differently and this is likely related to this.

Regardless, addressing this "noticeable" scar should be quite simple and straightforward with essentially no down time. It would involve an excision of the offending area and reclosure which is a minor procedure that can be performed in the office by your plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast scars

+1

Breast scars usually tend to fade over time and are mainly genetic and out of the doctors control.  There are many treatments for scarring however none is perfect.  You did lose weight afterwards and that definitely can affect the way things look.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Scars after breast implants

+1

Certainly, if the scars became more visible as you lost weight after surgery, it is hard to see how that could be the surgeon's fault.  

However, your surgeon may have some suggestions for improving the scars.  You should go back and see them.

James Nachbar, MD

Scars and breasts

+1

Everyone heals differently, and sometimes scars are more noticeable in some individuals. I think most of this is genetic and how an individual heals.

Breast augmentation scars

+1

Your doctor's responsibility to you was to work with the body you brought to him/her and do the best they can.  If the scar issues were not a problem that was present early on, but developed after your body changed (weight loss), that is out of his/her control. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS