Breast Implant Scar Sits Below the Crease. Will Revision Surgery Help? Cost? (photo)

(asked this question 3 years ago) It's been 6 years since my implants and still considering revision surgery. I feel my implants sit too high. You can see the scar when I wear a bathing suit and when I raise my arms it becomes more prominent. I have gone back to the same surgeon that I got the implants from on Monday and he said he could open the pocket and allow the implant to be lowered into the crease. My question is do you think that is the best solution? How much should it cost?

Breast Augmentation Revision

+2

thank you for the question.

Based on your description,  your best option may be to  lower the breast implant somewhat. You may also benefit from more medial placement (towards the cleavage)  of the implants if the implants move to the side when you lie down. Clear indication with your surgeon will be important to help achieve your goals.

In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  in your case you could use your own before breast-feeding pictures as the goal. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Augmentation scar not on the breast.

+2

To elevate the scar and have it sit on the breast, a lowering of the position of the implants is the best option. Why the scar is there is either because it was placed too low to begin with or there is a degree of contracture which has elevated the implants. Either way, the correction is the same. It is important to note that you will lose some upper pole fullness to the breasts and the nipples will rotate slightly upward. How much this revision costs is dictated by the surgeon.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision - Breast Implant Scar Sits Below the Crease. Will Revision Surgery Help? Cost?

+2

In theory, lowering your implants will have the effect of moving the scar up onto the breasts.  However, and it is very difficult to make this assessment from photos, it may also be that that's the natural bottom of your breast capsule, which may be where the implant is best positioned.  It could be that a lift would bring the skin and breast tissue (which appear to hang off the implants a bit and can contribute to the implants looking high); that appears to be the case more so on the left.  You may decide not to have the lift, but that's a separate issue - and will not, of course, help the visible inframammary scar.  Balancing all the factors I would agree with lowering your implants (the inframammary folds will need to be released in order to allow the implants to settle without having a double-bubble).  Issues of cost are difficult to comment on since each surgeon has his or her own policy.  In general, if one of my patients needs or wants a procedure six years after the initial one I do everything I can to minimize those costs.  Some of the costs in a case like this cannot be waived (such as the cost of the implants, anesthesia, facility fee); for some of the others (surgical fee) it is possible that the normal fees can be adjusted.  Maintaining a good rapport with your PS is the key to have this done most expeditiously.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Yes, revision surgery can improve the issues you describe

+2

If your incision is below your breast fold and can be seen when you wear a bikini and raise your arms it can be corrected by lowering the fold slightly to place the final incision line within the breast fold or a few millimeters up on the breast.  Care must be taken to do so properly so that the new fold stays where it is placed.  You will also likely need implants that have a slightly larger base diameter to properly fit the new pocket.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Augmentation scar sits below the breast fold, now what

+2

It is nice to think that the implant can be lowered, however it currently sits within the breast envelope and though the capsule can be released, the implant may not stay there. Another solution is a bigger implant which will take up the skin and occupy a larger percentage of the breast, and this may more reliably pull the incision up into the fold.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Lowering Breast Implants

+2

I agree with your surgeon's plan to lower the implants which will better position your scar (and keep it well hidden) and decrease the fullness on top thus giving you a more natural slope.  It is a relatively simple procedure but you must be very compliant with your activity restrictions post-op so that the implants do not fall BELOW the crease.  I cannot comment on the cost of the procedure becasue I have a very generous policy with my existing patients regarding payment for revisional surgery.  Best Wishes...you'll look great!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lowering breast implants

+2

It does look as though you could drop your implants down to the crease and get a better looking result and a more easily hidden scar.  Make sure after to follow your doctor's specific instructions so the implants don't go the opposite way and bottom out below the crease creating a new problem in the opposite direction.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Lowering the Implants Will Help

+2

Lowering the implants will help your overall look, is relatively easy and should make the scar less visible. It should also make you a little rounder on the bottom of the breasts. Each surgeon has their own rules as to revision costs. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant scar

+2

Hi

This is an uncommon, but known problem. The solutions are either to revise the pocket to bring it upto the are of the scar. Consider having a slightly bigger implant as well - which might disguise the scar better.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision Helpful for Many

+1
Yes, revisional breast implant surgery can help and in particular lowering the implant as well as placing it more towards the center at the bottom ("inferiomedially") would  help you .
The price varies greatly by geographical location, experience of the surgeon, whether in an office setting, outpatient surgery center vs hospital (hospital more expensive), whether there is a ruptured silicone implant

Make sure you go to the most experience board certified plastic surgeon you can find as breast revisional surgery can be complex, look at their reviews, before and after photos, and most important that you feel comfortalble after your consultation that you have confidence that you are safe.
The cost range in Orange County for the surgeon's fee can range from $10,000 to $20,000.

Our practice specializes in Breast Revisional and Explantation surgery and would recommend that you make sure that whomever you select that they also have a similar focus.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS