Hard Lump on Breast Implants?

Hi, I recently found a hard, stationary, marble shaped lump at the 10 o'clock postion of my left nipple. I do have saline implants and the ultrasound tech said she thought the lump was on the bag and not on my natural breast.

I am currently waiting to see a surgeon. But for peace of mind, does anyone know what this can be??

Lump with implants

+1

There are so many things that could be a "lump" in your breast withe breast implants. The best thing to do is have a good physical exam first by your doctor, and then have the studies reviewed. They may want to pursue additional studies like an MRI or even a stereotactic biopsy if they think it is suspicious.

Valve in saline breast implants can sometimes be felt.

+1

Hi.

I am sure by now your problem has been resolved after being examined by a surgeon. Your description, and the ultrasound findings suggest it is the valve which can sometimes be felt with saline breast implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lump on Breast

+1

Any lump on the breast must be evaluated by a doctor. A mamogram and ultrasound should be performed. In most cases, a small mass can be the valve of the implant, a cyst, scar tissue from the surgery, or a benign fibroadenoma. Please see your surgeon and get the diagnosis.

Robert M. Wald, Jr., MD

Lump on a bag

+1

Casel,

The lump that you describe may be several things. It could be a cyst in your breast. It could be a segment of the implant herniating through your muscle. It could be a stitch reaction if your implants were inserted through the periareolar approach. Your surgeon will have a better idea once he/she sees you and the sonogram. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD