Self Defense Classes - Chance of Breast Implant Rupture?

I am worried about breast implant rupture. I want to get saline, under the muscle. I participate in self defense classes 4-5 days out of the week and do recieve direct blows to the chest not to mention the general roughness that comes along with the nature of the class. how worried should I be about rupture or increased scar tissue?

Breast Implants Should not limit sports

+1

Although it is true that a severe blow to your breast implant could cause a rupture, it is also true that it could also fracture your ribs or do other bodily harm. I guess in some ways it would protect you I suppose. Breast implants are very sturdy and I encourage my patients to do all sports without restrictions.

Breast implants and exercise: rupture risk

+1

That is a great question! Breast implants can generally take alot of pressure and force. Repeated contraction of an implant with an existing breast fold may make it more prone to rupture and has been cited as one of the most common explanations for implant failure and has been termed "crease fold failure." However, they generally can withstand repeated injuries without damage. This was made quite famous by Chyna, a world wrestling federation member who remarkably only once had an implant rupture during a bout despite many years of fighting.

Web reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chyna

Implants are tougher than you think.

+1

Implants (both saline and silicone) are tougher than most patients think.  Before you experience rupture of one of your implants from full contact sports you will most likely have other severe soft tissue or orthopedic injuries.  That is the kind of force necessary to rupture an implant. (I don't think I've seen a case unless it was a high speed car crash with multiple other serious injuries.)

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Unlikely to rupture implant in exercise class

+1

The implants are designed to withstand three times your weight in force.  It is unlikely that your implants would rupture during your exercise class activities.  The most common reason for implant rupture is a crease in the implant.  

Implants do break

+1

Direct blows to the chest in a self defense class could easily result in breakage of the implant.

You should be in a class where they pull the punches or do not directly hit the chest.

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Implants and workouts

+1

Breast implants are very durable products and are made to last under tough conditions. They should hold up against these type of workouts.  

Breast implants should hold up to extreme workout

+1

Breast implants are very durable and patients who have them can participate fully in all forms of physical activity. The roughness should not pose a problem, however direct blows to the chest if quite severe could reduce the longevity of the implant. The force would have to be strong enough to cause tissue bruising. You are right in selecting a saline implant in that a leak will become readily apparent, and the implant most easily replaced. Scar tissue is not an issue.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Exercise and Breast Implants

+1

Self defense classes are a form a exercise, and for the most part  exercise is good. It is good for your heart, lungs and brain. It is recommended by doctors, because it is healthier than a sedentary lifestyle. Like everything in life thought there are risks that come with the benefits. With any exercise there is a risk of injury.

Injuries can be reduced with proper instruction and technique. Breast implant are very durable. You can stand on one without breaking it; however, I would not recommend you let someone stand on your chest.

It is possible to break an implant with a hit to the chest, but the required force is closer to that experienced in a car accident rather than a self defense class. It is worth avoiding the type of blow that it would take to rupture an implant, even if you don't have a breast implant. For full contact sports, padding is recommended to avoid injury to the breasts.

Implants can leak, even if you have a sedentary lifestyle. It is better to be active. Usual caution should suffice. An implant can be replaced, the rest of the body, not so easy, so be careful.

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant rupture and chest trauma

+1

Breast implants are pretty durable, especially when placed under the muscle. But based on your description of your self-defense classes (ouch !), I'd say your risk of implant rupture is higher than the general population.

Web reference: http://www.scottsattlermd.com