Self Defense Classes - Chance of Breast Implant Rupture?

I am worried about breast implant rupture. I want to get saline, under the muscle. I participate in self defense classes 4-5 days out of the week and do recieve direct blows to the chest not to mention the general roughness that comes along with the nature of the class. how worried should I be about rupture or increased scar tissue?

Self Defense Classes and Breast Augmentation

Breast Implants are durable and it is unlikely that self defense classes will rupture your implants. However, each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Consult with your surgeon as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Self defense classes - chance of breast implant rupture?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Altitude and pressure have no effect on breast implants, whether saline or silicone. It is safe to travel by air within pressurized cabins or even scuba dive without concern. No further precautions should be taken during these activities. Certainly, discuss any concerns with your surgeon prior.

In the same manner, blunt force will unlikely cause rupture. Repeated trauma from the folding of the implant over time is known to be associated with rupture. Obviously, penetrating trauma from sharp objects will also result in rupture. Both saline and silicone implants are very durable and daily activities will not cause any increased risk to the integrity of the implant. Hope that thus helps. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Rupture

The implants these days have really strong shells I would not be too concerned about self defense classes but in general I think that silicone implants are a little more durable

Breast Implants Should not limit sports

Although it is true that a severe blow to your breast implant could cause a rupture, it is also true that it could also fracture your ribs or do other bodily harm. I guess in some ways it would protect you I suppose. Breast implants are very sturdy and I encourage my patients to do all sports without restrictions.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast implants and exercise: rupture risk

That is a great question! Breast implants can generally take alot of pressure and force. Repeated contraction of an implant with an existing breast fold may make it more prone to rupture and has been cited as one of the most common explanations for implant failure and has been termed "crease fold failure." However, they generally can withstand repeated injuries without damage. This was made quite famous by Chyna, a world wrestling federation member who remarkably only once had an implant rupture during a bout despite many years of fighting.

Implants are tougher than you think.

Implants (both saline and silicone) are tougher than most patients think.  Before you experience rupture of one of your implants from full contact sports you will most likely have other severe soft tissue or orthopedic injuries.  That is the kind of force necessary to rupture an implant. (I don't think I've seen a case unless it was a high speed car crash with multiple other serious injuries.)

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Chance of Breast Implant Rupture in Self Defense Classes

Saline filled breast implants may be more prone to leakage than silicone gel implants if they are  hit very forcefully. This is because saline implants have a potential "weak spot" in the valve area. Also saline implants have a 3-5%  likelihood of leakage without any trauma over a ten year period. Silicone gel implants are more durable and less likely to leak over time. Placing the implant beneath the muscle is a more protective location.

Breast implants are made to withstand normal and even high intensity physical activity. However,if you are practicing martial arts with the possibility of being hit in the chest and you are concerned about potential rupture of the implants, you can wear a protective garment that protects the breasts. 

I have performed many breast augmentations on women who practice martial arts and to my knowledge none of them have had a rupture. Also, I have been practicing martial arts for more than 18 years and I have not ever heard of that happening.

Unlikely to rupture implant in exercise class

The implants are designed to withstand three times your weight in force.  It is unlikely that your implants would rupture during your exercise class activities.  The most common reason for implant rupture is a crease in the implant.  

Implants do break

Direct blows to the chest in a self defense class could easily result in breakage of the implant.

You should be in a class where they pull the punches or do not directly hit the chest.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Implants and workouts

Breast implants are very durable products and are made to last under tough conditions. They should hold up against these type of workouts.