Do You Use the Same Breast Implant for Revisions?

If you need a revision for the 3rd time and already used the same silicone breast implant the 2nd time for revision that failed, is it wise to use the same implant a third time?or get new implants.

Breast Implant Removal

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Your answer is going to vary depending on the type of revision you are undergoing. If you are experiencing repeated capsular contractures, it is recommended that the implants be removed and replaced with new implants, as they may be impregnated with biofilm which is a suspected culprit of contractures.  If the revision is not entailing a capsulectomy, I believe you would be safe to keep the current implants, assuming they are undamaged in any way.  Either way, I recommend discussing this with your surgeon and asking him/her what your options are.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

5 reasons to swap out your implant devices.

+1

When it comes to revision of breast implants, there are few situations in which you may reuse the original implants. However, here is a list of reasons why you may want new implants:

1) Current implant is ruptured

2) Current Implant is rippled

3) Current Implant is the wrong size

4) There exists a grade 3 or 4 capsular contracture around the implant

5) There is any suspicion of implant contamination.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Breast implant revision: same or different implants

+1

IF the revision is being performed for a capsular contracture than I would likely use a new implant to minimize the potential for capsular contracture formation secondary to biofilm. 

Revision and implant exchange

+1

Changing the implants really depends upon a nubmer of factors:  how old are the implants, are you experiencing problems liek recurrent capsules or infections, to name a few.

Re-using the same implants with revision: Good idea?

+1

First a disclaimer: The FDA categorizes breast implants as "single-use" devices, which technically means that they are not to be placed back in even when removed to get access for a revision. Having said that, it is common practice if the implants are in good condition. Most plastic surgeons would recommend a new implant if there is a capsular contracture.

Richard Baxter, MD

New breast implants or not?

+1

If the implants are in good condition and less that five years or so old, I will recommend reusing them to save $, and because there is no clear indication to replace.  If the indication for revision is implants too large, implants too small, implants ruptured, infection, or if the implants are injured during the revision procedure or found to be in some way defective or abnormal, they should be replaced.  In any case, the surgeon should have a back up implant(s) available in the operating room at the time of your revision procedure should they be needed.

Steve Laverson, MD

Reusing breast implants

+1

Silicone implants are often reused in revision surgery.  Often the causes of breast revsions are mostly due to the pocket and implant position.  These types of revisions are not really caused by the implant so they can be reused.  In cases of rippling or capsular contracture then I do suggest exchanging the implants.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Using same breast implants in a revision

+1

It really depends on what caused the need for a revision.

For example, if the implants were in the wrong position, and implant size was not the cause, then the same implants can be used. However, if the revision was due to visible wrinkles from saline implants, then a change to silicone gel implants would be appropriate.

If you can provide more information regarding the type of implants you have and the cause for revision, you may get a more specific opinion.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon