Breast Implant Revision, Cannot Find Right Surgeon? (photo)

I am in a terrible dilemma. I had a BA in 6/21/11. right implant bottomed out. Do not trust PS any longer and found out he's not certified by the American Board of plastic surgery. Got 2nd opinion and Dr wanted to open new incisions that will make it so that the old ones will show. Got 3rd opinion, Dr wants to put Silicone in and open new areolar incisions. Original BA placed saline implants over muscle. (was told they were under by original PS).Please is there an honest PS that can help me?

Breast Implant Revision Surgeon Credentials

+1

I am sorry to hear about your experience.  I am glad that you are consulting and doing due diligence with board certified plastic surgeons.  Typically, breast revisions can be trickier than the original surgery.  Therefore, ensure that the surgeon is board certified by the the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. While some online sites can be manipulated, the reviews on realself.com is a reliable resource to check. Above all, believe in your instincts on who you trust and on who understands your objectives. 

Breast Revisions Require Expert Care - Only go to Board Certified Plastic Surgeons

+1
I always cringe when I hear a story like this and am sorry you find yourself in this predicament. Here are some helpful hints in finding a competent and ethical plastic surgeon. Below would be my criteria for finding the Best Plastic Surgeon for your  Bottomed -out Breast complications:
• Verify Board Certification by American Board of Plastic Surgery (do this online)
• Member of American Society of Plastic Surgery (requirements beyond Board Certification)
Member of American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (indicates extensive experience in aesthetic surgery - see below link)
• Look at online review sites - like RealSelf, Health Grades,RateMDs, Google, etc
• Look at Before and After photos
What is my instinct or "gut reaction" as to who I relate to better, answers my questions more fully   and who I basically trust the most.
• Finally ask yourself - if I was to have a complication, who would be the best to take care of me

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Cannot trust my Surgeon!

+1

First, I am sorry for what you have gone through, there are unfortunately very few regulations in the world of cosmetic surgery and the only recognized board is the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the ASPS -American Society of Plastic Surgeons, members of these organizations have received formal training and have been tested to have obtained a certain level of surgical technique and knowledge. I would suspect your original surgeon was not a plastic surgeon, he simply called himself/herself that. I would encourage you to do your research, go to 3-5 consultations with Board Certified PS, and choose the one that you believe has the best surgical plan and can show you experience with this sort of problem, many surgeons do not perform revisions due to the complexity, find one that specializes in revisionary breast augmentation surgery experience! Good luck and be patient!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Revision Options?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I'm sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience you have had.  I am glad that you are doing your due diligence and looking for a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to help you with your revisionary breast surgery.

I think you will benefit from revisionary breast surgery that will involve “repair” of the breast implant capsule on the right side. This repair (capsulorraphy) will serve to keep the right breast implant in better position.  If possible, re augmentation in the sub muscular position may be helpful.

I do not think you will have a problem finding “honest” plastic surgeons; continue do your research and make sure the plastic surgeon has significant experience helping patients in your situation.