Is It Possible To Get Breast Implant Revision With Smaller Implants?

I am 5'7" 120 lbs and got 234cc silicone sub-pec implants which I think are too big! Is it possible to get revision surgery with smaller implants (about 200cc)? How long should I wait first and what are the considerations? Will the shape of the final outcome be affected by having had larger implants first?

Breast Revision

+1

Wait 6 months to one year, then talk with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about a revision.  The shape should be very close with perhaps a bit more tear drop appearance.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Change your implants for smaller ones at any time

+1

Your implants can be changed for 200 cc implants at any time.  The size difference is small and will not affect the shape of your breasts; they will just look smaller.

There is no need to delay having smaller implants.  

Concern about changing the shape of the breasts would only be an issue if you had much larger implants initially, e.g., 400 cc or more.  Then the breasts might look lower as well as smaller because of stretching of the breast skin.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Going with smaller implants

+1

I agree that the difference between the 2 implants you are considering is minimal. I don't know when you had your surgery but if it was recently, then maybe you haven't yet adjusted to the new breast size (this happens quite often). Make sure you give yourself time to  recover and adjust and if you still feel this way 6 months post op surgery, have a discussion with your surgeon and ask for his/her recommendations.   I also ask my patients to bring in photos of what they want to achieve (size wise) so I have a concrete idea of how to help them.

Wait a little more time

+1

Baby SD: You are a thin woman, so the intermediate profile (Natrelle?) silicone gel implant may make you feel overly enhanced, however remember that with breast augmentation, a woman's body changes in such a short time that often your self image has to catch up with the physical.  I would suspect that your surgeon did choose an implant style which matched the width of your chest.  As your breasts relax and start to jiggle, you may like them better. 

Downsizing an implant would make the breast skin envelope more relaxed, so if you are still determined to do so, after waiting 90 days, surgery would be relatively easy and your results more natural.  That being said, you should consider the financial implications and buyer's remorse.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Smaller implants

+1

Yes, you can downsize the implants, but the amount you are decreasing is very small and you may not notice much change.  You should wait until all the swelling has resolved before making the change.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Smaller implants are possible

+1

If you feel that you are too large with the implants that you have now, you should wait several weeks for all the swelling from the surgery to subside.  If you still feel that your breasts are too big, then it is possible to remove the present implants and exchange them for smaller implants.  Should not be a problem.  You just need to consider whether the cost is worth the improvement.

James Tang, MD

Considerations for smaller breast implants

+1

If you just completed augmentation and are considering 'going smaller' it is best to wait three to six months as there is nothing lost in the wait. The larger implant is unlikely to harm the breast. The biggest concern is the cost of the second procedure and second pair of breast implants. The next concern is making a choice that will make a significant difference in your breast size or projection. The change from a 234cc to 200cc may not be enough to cause much notice.

peterejohnsonmd

Downsizing Breast Implants

+1

If you just had your implants placed, I would suggest waiting at least 3 months.  Sometimes people are not used to their implants when they first get them.  Some want larger and some want smaller, but after a few months they realize that they are just right.  However, if after a few months, you decide that you want smaller implants, there should not be a problem since you already have relatively small implants.  However, without seeing before and after pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Implant revision

+1

Exchanging implants that are only 30 cc's different in volume will more than likely not make a big difference.

If your surgery was done recently, wait

+1

The implants that you describe do not seem to be too large for someone of your height and weight.  If your surgery was very recent you may just still be swollen and tight.  I would encourage you to wait at least 6 months to be sure that you want the change.  If at that time you still feel you are too large you would probably need to go down by more that 30cc's to see an appreciable difference.

Be patient and talk to your doctor about your concerns.

Good Luck

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon