Breast Implant Warranty Only Going to Cover One Implant?

I recently went and had a consultation with a doctor on my breast augmentation revision. I had breast implants back in 2001. My left implant has deflated and the warranty is going to cover $1200.00 for fees, but they don't cover both. How can I find out myself if this is correct? Why would I want to replace only one and have to come back and do the same thing again to the other side? Please help.

What does breast implant warranty cover?

+3

Hi Milehighcity. Your question is very logical. Both implant companies, Inamed (Allergan) and Mentor offer warranties which vary slightly. For Mentor implants placed before May 1, 2005 the standard warranty covers 5 years, $1200 for out of pocket expenses and lifetime product replacement, for the deflated implant only. The enhanced warranty, which you would of had to purchase for $125, covers 10 years, $2200 for out of pocket and lifetime replacement. As far as I know, it does not cover the contralateral breast implant (non-deflated). If you have an Inamed implant, the basic warranty covers 10 years, $1200 and lifetime product replacement. The upgraded warranty for $100 covers 10 years, $2400 and contralateral implant replacement (there can be a charge for contralateral replacement if you choose a different type of implant from what you currently have). I always enroll my patients in the upgraded warranty plans-it is well worth the extra $ and it has to be done within several weeks after the surgical date. To be sure of the warranty that covers your implant, you can contact the implant manufacturer or check out their website. If the warranty will not cover the contralateral implant, discuss with your surgeon replacing the non-deflated implant anyway. You may also consider switching to a silicone gel or style 410 silcione implant. Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Breast Implant replacement policy

+2

The implant replacement policy will vary from when you had your surgery and if you have or purchased what they refer to as the extended policy. The standard policy allows replacement of the deflated implant only and variably there can be a monetary stipend up to $1,200 in some cases. If it has been longer that 10 years, the stipend tends to go away.

If you have an extended warranty, this will usually allow for 2 new implants and possibly double the money described previously. Each patient who has breast implant surgery should receive from their plastic surgeon's office information on your implants and the warranty.

If your plastic surgeon's office checked with the manufacturer and that is what they said you have, chances are that won't change. If you think about it, there are very few things in life that provide such a good replacement policy.

Best of luck.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Warranty is not insurance

+2

The warranty genrally provides for a free replacement, sometimes even for the opposite breast, depending on the actual warranty. It also provides for a certain dollar reimbursement. What you use it for (anesthsiologist, operating room, surgeon fee) is up to you. It is a dollar amount warranty, not a service warranty.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Implant Coverage

+1

In the event of a qualifying deflation of a saline filled breast implants or rupture of a silicone gel breast implant, they will replace the product free of charge (for the lifetime of the patient).  Regarding the financial assistance to return to the operating room to replace the implant  -The breast implant companies offer financial assistance within 10 years from the date of implantation.  The assistance includes $1200 stipend to help pay for  some of the anesthesia / operating room costs.  There is an enhanced warranty that will take the stipend amount to $2200 to also help with surgical fees.

This is correct that they will cover only $1200 (or $2200 if you have the enhanced warranty).  I believe you can call the company directly and they will give you information.

Best Wishes!

Implant warranty

+1

The best way to figure out your specific warranty program( I can never figure these things out?)  is to contact the company directly. They should have your records and be able to guide you.

+1

Generally speaking you should have been provided with an implant card at the time of augmentation. THis lists the "serial numbers" of your implants as well as contact numbers. CAlling one of these service centeres should be able to provide your with information about the benefits.