Advice for Breast Augmentation Revision to Lessen Projection?

I had my breasts augmented two years ago. I was a 32 full B cup, breastfed two babies, and had VERY minor ptosis. My BWD is 12.5, the implants I subsequently got are 12.3cm silicone, round-textured 460grm breast implants with 5.8cm projection. I'm now seeking a re-do as I feel this projection is too much. I have too much upper pole fullness for my liking. My plastic surgeon suggests dropping down to 375cc Mentor HP with 12.0 width, 4.8cm projection. I assumed I would go with Mod+ implants, but he says this will make my nipples too low. I have subfascial placement. Any advice?

Breast augmentation revision

+3

Well, they look very good to me. However, if you want to reduce upper pole fullness, you may need to go with a smaller diameter implants and reduce the projection. However, remember that with the reduction, the already stretched skin envelope may not shrink with the smaller implants. There are multiple variables here and you could be playing with fire!

How can I decrease breast projection after augmentation?

+2

I agree that the you will need to decrease the size of your implant in some way. With most augmentations, the goal is to keep the breast implant base width just within the breast base width. If you have excessive upper pole fullness that you are unhappy with, then you should most likely reduce the profile of your implant. So, my first recommendation would be to drop the profile from say high to moderate plus. The next option is to drop the size of the implant by 50 to 100 cc. This is a tough question to answer. Trust your surgeon. If unsure, get another opinion... in person. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Breast Revision

+2

Hi,

Decreasing the size of your implants may help and give you a more natural look. However, you will want to consider the condition of your skin. You don't want to decrease the size too much. You could also try a different type of implant such as a moderate profile to get rid of some of the upper poll fullness. Definitely consult with your plastic surgeon on this issue.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast revision

+2

Breast revision surgery is not always straight forward. You are going from Inamed implants to Mentor is the whole profile, high, moderate and moderate plus do not translate the same. You may be good with a drop of 1 cm in the projection by going to the mentor high profile implants.

Your surgeon is right about your nipples dropping down a bit with the drop in projection. So by going to a moderate plus silicone in mentor you may require a small crescent or circumareolar lift to place your nipples in an ideal location. I would definitely not do moderate silicone mentors as they are more like pancakes, very flat.

My feeling is that your surgeon has the right idea and a good and plausible recommendation.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Downsizing

+2

The easiest way of decreasing your upper pole fullness is staying with the same base width and moving down the profiles. I would agree that a moderate plus with the same base width would decrease your projection but the decrease in volume may not be as dramatic. You could also go to the moderate profile to reduce volume further but the lower the implant volume the more likely you are to have lax skin and a lower nipple position.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Conside

+2

I usually use the Inamed implants. None the less, both companies make a low, moderate, and high profile implant. My opinion is that the diameter is the most important thing to consider when sizing. I would recommend looking into a moderate versus a high profile implant, keeping the diameter the same or slightly less so that you decrease projection, and upper pole fullness.

You didn't mention how you feel about your cleavage and lateral fullness. You do have a very nice result per the photo.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast revision, implant size and type

+1

If you like the width of your breasts but would like your projection to be less then you would go to a MP+ implant.  To do so you would pick a MP+ implant with the same width as you currently have.  This will automatically set your projection and volume,

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast implants are too large

+1

With downsizing to a moderate plus implant the projection would be considerably less but the diameter might be too large.