Surgeon is Going to Charge me Surgeon Fees for Implant Revision After He Told Me he Wouldn't, What Should I Do/Say?

I received my breast augmentation 4 months ago. About 2 months ago, I stated to my surgeon I was unhappy with the size. I wanted bigger. I am 5'9, 174 lbs, BWD 16, 550 cc, Mentor Mod+ He agreed I can go larger and his surgeon fees would be waived. Last week, during consultation, he gave me an estimate, including his surgeon fee. He also did sounded reluctant to increase my implant size. Should I bring up our past consultation topics?

Fees for Implant Revision

+1

Every office has a different policy regarding revisions. However, it is fair for you to mention prior promises from the surgeon as the surgeon or the office may have made a mistake.

Fees for new surgery

+1

Every office has a different policy with regard to exchanging implants after only a few months. You have to clarify it with the office.

Revision surgery charges

+1

If you agreed with the size of the implants you chose preoperatively, going to a larger size after surgery is not a revision surgery. Changing implant size is your choice, and unfortunately entails another surgery. Discuss your thoughts with your surgeon before your additional procedure.

Donna Rich, MD

Don't change breast implant size after only 4 months

+1

Unfortunately there is no perfect way to determine the implant size that will guarantee that you will be happy with it. In your case the main question is what the process was to determine the size; if it was determined with your input before the surgery then it should not be the surgeon's responsibility to give you new implants at no charge. regardless, 4 months is too early to be sure you want to make a change, since it does involve surgery. Take your time and discuss with your surgeon so that everyone is on the same page.

Richard Baxter, MD

Surgeon's fee for revision

+1

Practices vary widely for this situation so it all depends on your conversations with your surgeon before you first surgery, the financial contract the two of you signed, and the relationship you have with each other. A revision because something occurred that was out of anyone's control is different than a revision because of surgeon's error and that is different from a revison just because you do not like the size. Assuming you both agreed as to the size and goal of your original surgery, if you want to go larger, most surgeon's will probably charge you a fee, perhaps with a discount. The actual outcome of surgery, and especially a patient's reaction to that outcome, are both quite unpredictable and that should be discussed and understood prior to surgery.

The bottom line is that if your surgeon is good and trustworthy he is probably at an advantage in performing your second surgery. And if you are a good and potentially loyal patient, he will want to make you happy. You each have much to gain by accommodating each other.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Communication with Surgeon

+1

It  will not hurt to communicate with your plastic surgeon again in a calm nonaccusatory fashion.  You can address your concerns regarding breast size (and your impression of your surgeons reluctance to proceed)  as well as the financial aspects of the revisionary surgery.

Hopefully the conversation will be constructive and allow for  a clear understanding of each of the parties  view points on these issues.

I would suggest keeping an open mind and continued  dialogue.

Fees for reaugment

+1
Check your financial agreement. If you have decided to go larger, I do not see why the surgeon should waive his fees. Frankly, would you ask your hair colorist to lighten your color four months after treatment gratis? The size you mention seems appropriate for your height and weight. Before proceeding with a second surgery, I would recommend another opinion. What about the size disturbs you?

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Communication

+1

I would suggest that if he said he would do the operation at no cost to you, you should discuss it with him in a non-adversarial fashion.

It is worth a try.

Scott E. Kasden, MD