Breast Implant Revision and Reconstruction Post-op Wound Healing Horribly? (photo)

About 3 weeks ago I had a breast implant revision and reconstruction (2 surgeries) on one breast only. I feel that my doctor did NOT do a sufficient job and my wound is healing horribly as a result. The nipple area seems to be healing fine, but underneath is a different story. I really hate to post these disgusting pics, but I would appreciate it if you doctors could tell me if what I am experiencing is normal healing or did my doctor do a bad job stitching me up? Thank you.

Wound Healing Problems After #BreastAugmentation

+2

From your photos, it does appear that you have some necrosis or loss of skin at the vertical limb of your incision. This can happen in reconstructive or cosmetic procedures  It is important to stay in touch with your surgeon as this can lead to implant exposure once the eschar is released. You will likely need a scar revision at some point in the future, as this tends to lead to a thicker, more agressive scar.

Vincent Marin, MD

Unsatisfactory Healing after Augmentation Mastopexy

+2

Your healing issues are due to lack of blood circulation and/or oxygen delivery to your tissues.  There are many reasons why this occurs, but that cannot be elucidated by what you've told us or the pictures provided.  This is a very common problem after this type of surgery. Most will go on to heal uneventfully, some with more noticeable final scaring.

The most important thing for you to do is follow up with your surgeon so that he can closely assess your healing, remove dead tissue as necessary (most important), institute a proper dressing routine that will encourage rapid healing, and possibly place you on antibiotics if infection occurs (rare).

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

ABNORMAL WOUND HEALING

+2

You are experiencing  some combination of infection and hematoma.  You need care today.  This is very abnormal wound healing and you appear to have major problems.  See your doctor immediately.  Enough said.  My very best to you.  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Wound Healing Horribly

+2

What is present in these photos are two or three areas of skin necrosis (death)--the blackened areas. This has to do with insufficient blood supply to the tissues. There can be a number of causes related to the surgery, though smoking  is a common cause. 

At this stage there is nothing more to do but wait for the dried leathery skin to fall off (or be trimmed by your surgeon) and to heal underneath. It is quite uncommon to need another trip to the operating room to get this to heal. The involved areas are rather small, and may heal without sequellae. In six months if the scars are abnormal, a simple scar revision will be able to fix that. 

The edges around the necrotic areas look healthy and uninflamed, so it seems likely that there will be any further tissue loss, nor an infection.

This is a known risk with breast lift, and does mean anything was done or planned incorrectly. 

Follow closely with your surgeon. All the best. 

Healing After Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after breast  implant exchange and mastopexy.  Your  description is concerning mainly because of the presence of breast implants below the incision lines. Of paramount importance is avoidance of contamination of the underlying  breast implants.

It will be very important for you to follow even more closely with your plastic surgeon,  who is the only reliable resource to you at this point.
 Hopefully, what you are experiencing is superficial and will go on to heal without  long-term sequelae.

Wound healing issues after breast surgery should be carefully monitored by your surgeon

+1

The picture demonstrates loss of some skin between the areola in the crease below the breast. This is seen occasionally with breast surgery. He has to be carefully monitored as it might jeopardize the implants. Ultimately debridement will be required. If likely the scar revision would improve the situation months in the future.

Implant healing issues

+1

It looks like you have some necrotic tissue that may need debridment and revision. You might even need a smaller implant to allow this to heal. Best to be seen in person.  Discus with your surgeon options for treatment.

Early wound separation after breast lift surgery.

+1

The breast skin is very red, thin and possibly mild infection may exist at the current time.  You have some level of skin necrosis ongoing, which is causing the vertical incision to appear to have a partial separation.  Questions about whether or not you are a smoker, was there a seroma or hematoma  in the breast after the surgery, how large is the implant, is there a breast  pocket discharge that may suggest that there is an ongoing infection all need to be considered.

You need to discuss this with your Plastic surgeon at this time

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD