Cellulitis After Breast Implant Replacement and Lift

I had breast implant replacement and breast lift done a week ago. I have cellulitis in the left breast. It is very painful red and swollen. I don't have fever yet. My surgeon put me on Bactrim. Does this sound like an appropriate drug? Also, I've heard that once people get an infection, they most likely need to have the implants removed. What are the chances this will happen to me? This is very stressful!

Cellulitis of breast

+1

I usually place patients on Keflex myself. As for cellulitis progressing to implants removal, this may be the result. Sometimes PO antibiotics or even IV antibiotics may treat the problem and avoid the implant removal. Keep in close contact with your doctor for proper treatment.

Infection after breast lift with breast implants can be only skin deep.

+1

Hi.

In New York City, we have seen some patients who developed cellulitis of the skin after breast lift with breast implants, who did fine with antibiotics. Of course, if the infection is deeper, it is much more serious, and we have a couple of cases where the implant had to be temporarily removed.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Close follow-up is important here

+1

The best thing you can do at this point is maintain close frequent contact with your surgeon as you both figure what to do next. Antibiotics either will clear the infection or you will need the implant(s) removed. If the infection is not deeply set, you will make it through without more surgery. Good luck.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast Infection and Implants

+1

I wish you had a picture posted, but yes bactrim is reasonable as so is Keflex that you are now on. It is difficult to say if you will need the impants removed or not. It is simply a test of time and see how things progress. If the antibiotics work then you are in good shape and may be able to salvage the implants.

You just have to wait and see what happens.

Farbod Esmailian, MD