Right Breast Implant Removed Due to MRSA. When Can I Get my Implant Back In?

5 weeks ago i had my right breast implant removed, due to an MRSA infection, since then everything has been fine i stopped taking the antibiotics 3 weeks ago, i've had 3 swabs done in both my nose and wound, 2 of them were negative and im still waiting for the third result..I just wanna know when can i put my implant again, it is very uncomfortable to have only one, and how can i be sure the MRSA wont come back..im so confused please help me! and any suggestions for surgeons in Toronto Canada

Need To Wait Several Months for Breast Re-Implantation

+2

Sorry about your MRSA infection.  Although rare, infections of your breast implant surgery is a pretty serious event, and I'm glad you're health is OK overall.

In general, you will be probably be asked to wait about 6-12 months before you can get your breast implant replaced.  The reason why is that there may be a recurrence of infection if you place your breast implant too soon.  Also, there is a risk of increased capsular contracture with bacteria present in the breast implant pocket, and your body needs to "clear out" any potential source of infection.

I don't have any recommendation for Toronto, but I do know of 2 excellent plastic surgeons in Windsor, Ontario-  Dr. Isabel Chow and Dr. David Sion.

I would wait at least six months

+1

I would wait at least six months to replace your implants, as well as being sure you are on the proper prophylactic antibiotics for MRSA at the next operation

Breast Implant Infection

+1

Most infectious disease specialists will recommend waiting at least 3 to 6 months before considering any elective breast implant procedures.  In addition, you will likely require some MRSA antibiotic prophylaxis.

Replacing implants after MRSA Infection

+1

Usually you can reinsert the implants several months later without problems from the initial infection. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation following the infection should wait for at least 3 months.  It also depends on the extent of the infection.  Sometimes, additional time may be required.

MRSA breast implant infection

+1

IT appears that you have undergone an Infectious disease consultation and it sounds as if appropriate measures have been instituted. I would continue to follow the advice of your surgeon who appears to be providing you wiht excellent care. In my opinion, I would likely wait a minimum of 3 months, Pre-operative measures would likely be insttitued such as antibactoerial showers pror to surgery or in accordance with ID consultation.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

The longer you can wait for Re-implantation, the easier it will be

+1

Any patient that requires explantation of their implant for an infection is frequently anxious about having that implant replaced. There are two medical issues that come up in this situation. The first, is that you need to be certain that the infection has cleared from your breast tissue. Otherwise, the new implant will be at a high risk of becoming infected as well. The other issue relates to the scar tissue in that breast. After any breast operation, scar tissue will develop. That scar tissue must heal, remodel and soften prior to performing a subsequent operation. All scar tissue takes about one full year to completely heal and soften. Certainly reimplantation can occur after everything has healed for one year. However, waiting a full calendar year is ideal.

After implant infection, recommend 6 months to wait.

+1

Infection of a breast implant is a serious concern. When it occurs, it often requires removal of the implant and the scar tissue (capsule) around the implant. In general, I recommend waiting 6 months before replacement of the implant. In the meantime, women often ask what they can do to help with the difference in shape. I refer women to the mastectomy department in many department stores. Here you can find special bras with prosthetic inserts that will camouflage the size difference while wearing clothes.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

MRSA and implant removal

+1

I would recommend waiting 6 months. after four months, most of the inflammation of wound healing is resolved, but a couple extra months is helpful for the tissues to go back to as normal as possible. This will make the replacement surgery easier.

Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

I would advice to wait at least 3 months following surgery before considering having an implant replaced

+1

Thank you very much for your enquiry, I'm sorry that you have had MRSA infection after your breast implant and this is extremely unusual and I think you'd be very unlucky to get this.

Generally, I would advice to wait at least 3 months following surgery before considering having an implant replaced. It's important to have your MRSA status checked prior to surgery to make sure you're not carrying the MRSA.

I'm sorry that you've been so unlucky and do wish you the best of luck with your following treatment.

Best wishes yours sincerely,

Adrian Richards

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon

Surgical Director of Aurora Clinics

London Plastic Surgeon