Should I have my breast implant removal after discovering rupture?

I am 42 years old and I had silicone mcghan 600cc implants placed over the muscle in 2006 and have been told via scan and mammogram that my right side is ruptured,collapsed and lying in a complex fluid collection,inferolaterally ...and have been advised to remove ASAP....can you please explain what exactly this means and what I can expect if removed please?

+1
With documented silicone implant rupture, you should have the implant removed as soon as possible.  Consult with your Plastic Surgeon to schedule surgery.

Should I have my breast implant removed after discovering rupture?

+1
If you have a documented silicone implant rupture, you should have it removed.  Although, a patient can have a ruptured silicone implant and not have adverse symptoms, we do know that the free silicone can cause problems with swelling, pain, or infection over time.  If the implant and silicone are removed, your breast will be significantly smaller and will sag to some extent.  In most cases a new implant can be placed at the same time as the removal of the old one.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured Silicone Implant

+1
I would recommend removal especially if you have a "fluid" collection.  The most likely represents silicone that can become irritating to the breast and surrounding tissues. This will more than likely cause you pain if left untreated.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Ruptured silicone breast implant

+1
Ruptured silicone breast implant needs to be removed with the capsule as enblock removal. Free silicone can migrate and can cause silicone granulomas.
Samir Shureih MD. FACS
sshureih@msn.com

The decision to remove an implant is based on symptoms.

+1
Removal of an implant is necessary if you notice pain, burning, fever, or if you experience a change of shape or size. Silicone implants made today remain stable even if there is evidence of a tear in the surface. Saline implants need to be changed after leakage because the shape and size of the breast will change dramatically, and an empty saline implant will crumple into an uncomfortable ball.If you have MRI or mammographic evidence of significant change in a silicone implant, It should be exchanged, but it is rarely an emergency. If you wish to proceed, you may want to consider exchanging both implants and placing them under the muscle.

John Cassel, MD