If Breast Implant Removal & Tummy Tuck Are Done at the Same Time, Can I Only Have One Scar?

If implant removal & tummy tuck are done at the same time, can I only have "one" scar?

Breast Implant removal through tummy tuck incision

+1
Yes, not only is it possible but this is how I would recommend it being done. Make sure you select a board certified plastic surgeon experienced with this technique.

Breast Implant Removal and Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes, these two procedures can be done at the same time with a single incision.. You will need to discuss your specific situation with your plastic surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate.

Scar for breast implant removal

+1

Yes, if you are undergoing a tummy tuck and want breast implants removed, it is possible to remove the implants through the abdominal approach provided the implants aren't rupture and you don't need a capsulectomy.

An alternate approach would be to remove the breast implants through the incision they were placed, unless it was an axillary incision. It is more difficult but not impossible to remove saline implants from the axillary incision. If the implants are gel and/or ruptured, it is not recommended to attempt this through the axillary approach.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Using old incisions for revisionary procedures

+1

While it is certainly possible to remove an implant via a tummy tuck incision this is probably not the best plan for many reasons. Since the breast area is remote from the belly it may be hard to do all the surgery that needs to be done to remove the implants (ie removing the capsule as well). Many patients will require a lift after implant removal and this will need to be done with incisions placed on the breast so using an abdominal incison would be counter productive. If you have a breast incision already from when the implants were placed this will likely be the easiest and fastest way to remove your implants and get you the best overall breast shape. Check with your plastic surgeon and see what they recommend, but don't be surprised if they suggest using different incisions for both your breast and abdominal surgeries. Best of luck, Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Breast implant removal and tummy tuck

+1

I am not sure what you are asking.  If you need a tummy tuck , then that is one incision., If you had a previous breast augmentation than I asuuem you have another incision.  If it is a ffairly straight foward removal, I have placed implants through tummy tuck incision, so removing them is basically the same.

Breast implant removal and tummy tuck

+1

If you are unusual type of patient who could have the implant removed and not require further breast surgery (such as a lift, removal of a capsule, etc.), then a single incision could be used.

There are always risks to every combined procedure, so discuss these with your plastic surgeon first.

Brent Moelleken, MD

One scar for breast prostheses removal and tummy tuck??

+1

"Killing two birds with one stone" usually doesn't apply in this case because:

1. You already  have scars from the breast surgery.

2. You most probally will need some other breast proceedure at that time,ie. mastopexy or capsulotomy.

3. Removal of prostheses will create "dead" space in the breast pocket which may communicate with the abdominoplasty disection causing problems.

I suggest doing both at the same time but through separate incisions.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and breast implant removal

+1

The combination of breast implant removal and Tummy Tuck would depend on why the implants are to be removed ? Do you need a Capsulectomy? do you need a breast lift? Are the implants Saline or Silicone ? Is there a silicone implant rupture? or leak?

You already have a scar on the breast where the implants were inserted, why not use that incision for the implant removal?

Discuss all these issues with your plastic surgeon, and depending on your particular situation a recommendation would be discussed with you and the pros and  cons of each approach

Implant Removal and Tummy Tuck

+1

Implants can be removed through a tummy tuck incision but it may be harder to do, especially if the implants are silicone gel and possibly ruptured. However, you already have a scar from placing the implants than can be used.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal and tummy tuck together?

+1

This is a question that only your plastic surgeon, who has seen you, can answer. Most of the time when implants are removed, a lift is required. If the capsule needs to be removed (capsulectomy) that could not realistically be considered from the tummy tuck approach. The only way it could be considered is if the removal is simple, with intact implants, and no lift is needed. That combination of factors would be uncommon since there is usually some problem that would be the reason for implant removal.

Richard Baxter, MD