How Long Do I Need to Wait For Breast Implant Removal? I Want Them Out ASAP.

Breast Implant Removal? A little over a week ago I got breast implants that I thought I truly wanted. Now I feel I have made the biggest mistake of my life. I went from an A to a C. I don't feel like "me" anymore. I want to know if getting them removed is truly an option. I am hoping to find out roughly how much it would cost (On,Canada) I spent $8,000 getting them :( How soon could I do it? and how long for recovery? And what will my breasts look like afterwards? :( I appreciate your advice.

Wait 3 Months Before Removing New Breast Implants

+4

Thank you for your question. There are both physical and psychological reasons to wait 3 months before removing your new breast implants.

Implant removal will be easier and healing potentially less complicated if you give your tissues time to recover from the first surgery.

It is quite common for patients to be very self conscious and regretful immediately after breast augmentation. It takes at least 6 weeks to psychologically adjust to your new breast size. Most patients are quite happy with their breast implants after this initial adjustment period.

When can I remove implants?

+2

You are very early in your healing process from surgery.  There is definitely a psychological as well as physical adjustment period after getting implants. You most likely still have a fair amount of swelling and the implants have not had a chance to settle yet.  You may wish to wait until approximately 3 months after surgery to get a better picture of your new look before removing them.  However, if you truly want them out right away, you can get them removed at any time.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Why wait?

+1

I agree that there is a normal "adjustment" period that takes place after breast augmentation, and that some patients experience a short time period of panic or even "buyers regret". This is  more often related to the post-operative size.  In my experience it is VERY uncommon for a woman to immediately want her implants removed if there was good pre-operative communication between the doctor and patient regarding expectations.  In the rare cases that this occurs I think 3 months is a good general rule however, such an uncommon occurance needs to be carefully evaluated on a case by case basis.  

Mary Gingrass, MD

How Long Do I Need to Wait For Breast Implant Removal?

+1

This question comes up occasionaly and we ask patients to wait at least three months. And by that time over half the patients elect to keep their new look.  Taking them out is relatively easy and nearly painless and should not be very expensive and your breast will look like they always did after about 6 weeks.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant removal

+1

Most surgeons would recommend not rushing to remove them so soon after surgery, only because some have initial "buyer's remorse" and then love having them.  If you are so adamant about removing them, they can really be taken out at anytime.