Regarding Breast Implant Removal. What is the Best Time Frame for Explantation?

I am only a week post-op but fear I made a huge mistake. What is the best time frame for removal for the least amount of trauma to the breast (sooner the better or wait until swelling subsides)? Will I be more likely to gain back breast sensitivity under the incision (if at all) by having them removed immediately? How close to my original breasts can I expect them to be? Is it best to go back to the same surgeon? 5'5, 108 pounds, 304 cc gel, submuscular, aureola incision Much appreciated!

Breast augmentation implant removal

+2

As long as there is not a gross deformity you should wait at least 3 months for things to settle.  Swelling will subside, the breasts will accomodate to the implants, and you will have a chance to fully recover.  If after this time you are still unhappy with the result tell your surgeon: he or she should be very willing to remove or exchange the implants to help you achieve your size and shape goals.

Waiting three months can only be beneficial: skin will not stretch too much; scars will have a chance to quiet down; you will have a chance to consider carefully your next move.  In the meantime go shopping (not to buy, necessarily, but to try stuff on) and see what you look like in different types of clothes that you might not have been able to wear before.  This will help when you make the decision for revision.

You need to wait at least 3 months

+2
You just had surgery and you have swelling. Please wait at least 1 month or better 3 months before deciding about the implant removal. Your breast will go to pre surgery shape and size after implant removal. I had a patient with the same reaction post surgery who was very happy six months later. You will not cause damage by waiting.
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants

+1

If you are absolutely sure you want them removed, then the doing them soon will allow the breast to usually rebound better. However, I will caution that most patients early on have a little "buyer's remorse."  They are usualy very happy after a few weeks once the swelling begins to subside and the pain goes away. That is why we like to tell patients to wait a few months.

Evauluate results at 3 months

+1

It is very common to be on a little bit of an emotional rollercoaster after surgery.  I assume you did your research prior to your surgery and were involved in the decision making process regarding size.  If you were comfortable with your decision pre-surgery, you most likely will be happy post-operatively.  I also have had patients who were "unsettled" initially after surgery and within 2-3 weeks, were very happy with their results.  So be patient and give yourself some more time to heal.  I would wait a minimum of 6 weeks and 3 months is better, before making a decision.  Also, please discuss this with your surgeon; your doctor and their staff can be a source of great support while you are feeling this way.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD

Removing Breast Implant After Surgery

+1

What you may be feeling is not uncommon after surgery and given the fact that you are only 1 week post surgery, I would sit down and talk to your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns and fears.  As far as removal of the breast implants, they can be done any time.  Given the smaller size of implants you have, waiting a few months to see if your mind changes would likely not be an issue.  The sooner the implants are removed the less stretch you skin goes thru.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-breastrevision-newport-beach.php