Do you need to have a plastic surgeon remove breast implants? Could a general surgeon perform the surgery?

Removal of Breast Implants

+1

I would advise you to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss breast implant removal. 

Removal of a breast implant explantation

+1

I would recommend that a plastic surgeon remove the implants and perform a preoperative assessment of whether you will need a secondary procedure for the cosmetic appearance of the breast during or after your breast explantation.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Who should remove breast implants?

+1

A general surgeon can remove the implants, as this is a basic procedure. However, I would question whether the general surgeon has the judgment or knowledge to perform capsulectomies or deal with any other complications which could arise, for example, with a ruptured silicone implant.  Therefore, I recommend that this surgery be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon who can treat you comprehensively.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Who should remove the breast implant

+1

There is no doubt that a general surgeon can remove the implants. But, generally speaking it is not just removing the implant, but also evaluation of the pocket for the capsule and abnormal fluid, etc. is also important. And plastic surgeons are usually more experienced at evaluation of the breast before, during and after explanation. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

General Surgeon Remove Breast Implant?

+1

Ideally, plastic surgeons ( who are used to dealing with breast implants on a routine basis)  are the appropriate surgeons to remove breast implants. However, if a plastic surgeon is not available a general surgeon certainly could remove a breast implant.