How Long After Breast Implant Removal can I Wear Underwire Bras?

Hello, I am one week postop for breast implant removal. I forgot to ask my surgeon if I should massage the scars and also how long I should wait before wearing an underwire bra? He said I could wear a normal bra instead of my sports bra but I forgot to ask about underwire bras.

Bra after Breast Surgery?

+2

I suggest that you call your plastic surgeons' office;  every surgeon has a different “protocol”.  it's best to follow his,  since he is ultimately responsible for your care.

+1
You have a series of good questions.  The answers depend on many factors such as the location of the incision for the removal of the implants, how well you are healing and then you get into some questions that have different answers for different surgeons about when and what type of bra.  With that in mind, I recommend directing these questions back to your surgeon's office for final answers.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Regular VS Underwire Bra after Breat Implant Removal

+1

There is nothing nefarious or magical about underwire bras. They appear to place higher pressure along the bottom rim (inframamary fold) of the breat giving a visual greater definition to the breast. The question for the surgeon would be: is there a reason why he would prefer to postpone the application of such forces along the bottom of the operated breasts?  

Your surgeon needs to answer the question since he knows what could be done. In the ordinary breast implant removal case there is no reason why a bra choice should be restricted. 

Peter A Aldea, MD

Bra with underwire

+1

Every surgeon is different about allowing udnerwire bras. you should ask your surgeon what his preference is.

Type of bra for recovery

+1

I personally have patients wear a soft bra for 6 weeks before wearing a push-up or underwire type of bra.  However, that also depends on how well the patient has healed.  I also let people start scar massage as soon as the skin is healed and no long raw.  Your surgeon may have different ideas about the proper postop regime. 

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Please call him then

+1

The proper thing to do is jsut to call his office and ask the question, do not direct it onto the internet.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS