How is Breast Implant Replacement Surgery Done?

I have textured silicone implants in a subglandular placement and want to replace them with smooth silicone implants under the muscle. Will the new implants be placed in at the time of removal of the textured ones? Or will it have to be done in two separate procedures so I can heal from the first surgery first. I hate to have to walk around with deflated boobs for months.

Replacing and Repositioning Implants Can Be Done in One Procedure

+3

In my practice, older textured subglandular implants can be replaced with smooth implants under the muscle in one procedure.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Removal and replacement of breast implants

+2

In almost every case, the removal of subglandular and replacement with submuscular implants is done as one procedure. Consult with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. Upon examination, your surgeon will be able to discuss the risks and benefits of performing these procedures as one. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implant exchange under the muscle - silicone breast implants

+2

There are a number of very valuable reasons to exchange your implant position to one that is under the muscle.  I perform these implant exchanges in one operation ,unless significant nipple repositioning is planned. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Removal Surgery - What to Expect

+1

It’s not unusual for patients who have breast implants on top of the pectoralus muscles to request relocation to a sub-muscular position.  In the vast majority of cases this can be easily accomplished by simply removing the implants and replacing them in a sub-muscular pocket.  In most cases, this maneuver is associated with excellent aesthetic results and high satisfaction rates. 

Implant repositioning may be undertaken for a variety of reasons.  Two of the more common causes include capsular contracture and the development of breast sag.  These represent unique situations that may require additional surgery.

When severe capsular contractures are present, it may be necessary to perform a capsulectomy.  In other cases where severe breast sag is present, breast lift surgery may be necessary.  Under these circumstances, it may be necessary to stage these procedures to optimize the result. 

If you’re considering implant repositioning it’s appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.  This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for your condition.  

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant exchange.

+1

Implant exchange is a very common procedure.  There are so many women out there (myself included) who have had their implants in for many years.  It is not uncommon for a woman's body to change over the years and she may decide to get new implants for any one of a number of reasons. Common reasons include weight gain or loss since original augmentation, pregnancy or pregnancies that cause significant change in breast shape or size or simple desire for larger or smaller implants.  Whatever the reason, a woman has a number of options when considering implant exchange.  This can almost always be done in one operation. 

Mary Gingrass, MD

Replacement of Breast Implants to Submuscular Position?

+1

Generally, it is possible to replace implants under the pectoralis muscle (dual plane).   I usually do this procedure (removal of sub glandular implants and replacement in the submuscular position)  in a single stage.

However, the major issue of concern is the overlying breast tissue and skin and whether further surgery will be necessary to achieve the aesthetic  results desired.  For example, some patients who have implants replaced into the sub pectoral space may benefit from breast lifting to achieve the desired goals.

This type of surgery does require some level of experience. It would behoove you to seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons well-versed in revisionary breast surgery.

Exchanging implants

+1

When you have implant removl and exchange they are usually done in the same operative setting.Placing under the muscle is easy and the other pocket can be closed.

How is Breast Implant Exchange Done ?

+1

For the majority of cases, breast implant exchange is done in one procedure where the old ones are removed and the new ones placed in the same or different position depending upon the reason for the exchange.

For example, if there is no significant capsule and the patient wants a larger size, then the same pocket above the muscle (subglandular) or below the muscle (submuscular) can be used.

On the other hand if, for example there is a capsule problem then the same pocket might be used if the capsule is released or excised first.  Otherwise, it may be better to place the implant in a different pocket.

A thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon is necessary to understand your treatment options, and their risks and advantages.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Silicone implants may make your breasts more attractive

+1

Our patients are often happy with the implants replaced at the time of removal. Experience matters. I individualize breast enhancement procedures based on over 10,000 plastic surgery assessments. Most of our patients have done exceptionally well doing both at the same time. Silicone implants often result in a softer, more attractive outcome.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Breast implant revision surgery

+1

I typically recommend removal and replacement with smooth silicone implants in the submuscular position for patients that present with subglandular implants. If you need a lift, it can be done at the time of surgery, or in a delayed fashion. I recommend up-sizing the implant about 75 cc when switching to the submuscular plane- this position tends to 'blunt' the volume of an implant.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS