Muscle Repair After Breat Implant Removal?

I am one of many girls who are looking for the answer on this question. After implant removal (which we had only for a month or 2) - nearly all of us were left with muscular deformity.

Now the question is: the muscles which were dissected or cut (pectoral) can be reattached itself to the place where it was before or not? or doctor can re-attach muscle while explant?

Muscle and implants

+1

If the muscle was partially divided for the palcement of the implants,. it will not re-attach when the implant is removed.

Deformity of breast with pectoralis contraction after breast implant removal (explantation)

+1

You should onlty reattach the muscle if necessary (for deformity). It is not a simple procedure and may require the use of acellular dermal matrix. Consider botulinum toxin or fat grafting as an alternative.

Muscle distortion should not be a problem after breast implant removal.

+1

I'm not sure what has happened to you and your friends. If implants are placed in the subpectoral position, the muscle is not lifted, not divided.  The origin of the muscle on the sternum might be partially released, but when the implant is removed, there is no abnormal appearance to the muscle.  I'm not sure how to answer you concerns without a picture, but some contour abnormalities might be eliminated by fat injections.

Muscle reattachment

+1

The ability to reattach the muscle depend on the degree to which it has been displaced laterally. Any contour problem can be improved with fat injections.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Muscle repair after breast implant removal

+1

The status of your muscle after breast implant removal is dependent on the size of your previous breast implants, how long they remained in this site, and how much of the muscle was released during the initial breast augmentation. In our practice, we typically release the pectoralis muscle only on the inferior edge and a very minimally along the chest bone. This will keep the entire muscle intact and will prevent problems with contraction and an abnormal appearance of the breasts. If your muscle has been excessively released, there may not be sufficient muscle or tissue to repair. Your plastic surgeon may attempt to repair the muscle by trying to sew a portion of the muscle and capsule back to the chest bone. However, it is difficult to have this tissue is very thing and will not hold suture securely

Pat Pazmino, MD

It will vary case by case

+1

Your surgeon will need to make that decision at the time of implant removal. It depends on your breast volume and shape before and after surgery. If it looks as though it will provide a better aesthetic result, it can be performed.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

The msucles cannot be reattached after explantation

+1

In most cases, the majority of the pectoralis muscle is left undisturbed and only the most medial aspect is detached. Trying to reattach muscle to sternum is futile and I would not try to reattach those fibers. I doubt that you would be able to tell the difference in your strength before or after submuscular implant placement and subsequent removal.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon