Breast Implants Incision Reopened After Stitches Taken out

breast implants removed 1-19-2010. 2 weeks after stitches removed, incision has reopened. Dr. says he can't stitch it that it has to heal inside out. Is this true?

Incision issues

Yes, if the wound opened at this pont, it is better to allow it to heal naturally because technically the exposed area is contaminated.

Wounds that are infected are usually best allowed to drain to minimize the potential for an abscess formation.

Disruption of Breast Augmentation incision

2 comments.

The majority of plastic surgeons, myself included use buried dissolving sutures which do not need to be taken out. Leaving in external / removable sutures in for more than 5-7 days will leave permanent "train track" sutures. This suggests to me that your surgeon MAY not have been Plastic surgery trained.

I agree with Dr. Khoobehi. It is extremely uncommon for a breast augmentation incision to open after suture removal unless there are OTHER factors at play which impede healing ; infection, smoking etc.

If you have infected open wound, you need to leave it open

If your incision opened because of infection, then you need to leave the incision open till it closes from inside. It is unusual for an incision to open after 2 weeks unless there is a healing problem, smoking or infection.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon