Breast Implants Incision Reopened After Stitches Taken out

breast implants removed 1-19-2010. 2 weeks after stitches removed, incision has reopened. Dr. says he can't stitch it that it has to heal inside out. Is this true?

Incision issues

+1

Yes, if the wound opened at this pont, it is better to allow it to heal naturally because technically the exposed area is contaminated.

+1

Wounds that are infected are usually best allowed to drain to minimize the potential for an abscess formation.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-enlargement/

Disruption of Breast Augmentation incision

+1

2 comments.

The majority of plastic surgeons, myself included use buried dissolving sutures which do not need to be taken out. Leaving in external / removable sutures in for more than 5-7 days will leave permanent "train track" sutures. This suggests to me that your surgeon MAY not have been Plastic surgery trained.

I agree with Dr. Khoobehi. It is extremely uncommon for a breast augmentation incision to open after suture removal unless there are OTHER factors at play which impede healing ; infection, smoking etc.

If you have infected open wound, you need to leave it open

+1

If your incision opened because of infection, then you need to leave the incision open till it closes from inside. It is unusual for an incision to open after 2 weeks unless there is a healing problem, smoking or infection.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.