Breast Implant Removal / Explant After Capsular Contracture, Will Tissue Soften Over Time?

Hi! I had capsular contracture in one breast (really hard and deformed breast). After an unsucessful revision I decided to have the implant out. The capsule was left inside. I am now almost 4 weeks postop, and the cc-breast has a rather large hard lump inside it under the breast tissue. It feels almost as an extension off the ribcage but it is movable. The other breast feels fine. Is this the hardened capsule? Will it soften over time? Thank you for any help.

“Hard Lump” after Breast Implant Removal?

+2

Unfortunately,  it is not possible to diagnose the nature of the “hard lump” you are feeling. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you after direct examination. If the area feels  similar to the scar tissue  you had prior to surgery,  then it  is likely to be the scar tissue remnant. Only time will tell if this scar tissue will resorb (or if further intervention will be necessary).

Breast implant removal/explant after capsular contracture - will tissue soften over time?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question!  It is a matter of surgeon preference as well as what is seen during your procedure that will determine whether or not a complete capsulectomy is performed. If significant capsule formation is seen intraoperatively, a full capule removal may be warranted with a drain in order to completely remove all of the tissue and allow better adherence of your breast back to its normal anatomic position down on your chest wall. If minimal contracture is seen, it may be possible to leave the capsule, or place cuts within the capsule to allow better adherence. It truly is dependent on what is seen with your capsule and the issues that may be causing you to have such a procedure (e.g., contracture from rutptured implant vs pain vs simple pocket adjustment, etc).   I would try scar massage in attempts to soften the areas.  If no resolution or you begin to have issues, surgical removal may be considered.  

Without knowing your issues and without an examination, it is difficult to tell you what may be the best thing for you. I tend to favor performing capsulectomies in order to create a fresh pocket, reshape the pocket, allow better shape and adherence of the overlying breast. I would discuss your issues with your plastic surgeon who will assist you in determining the right modality for you. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant removal and capsule

+1

Not all capsules are removed when performing an explantation. It is hard to say exactly what you are feeling without knowing what was done in the OR or at least examining you. It could be the capsule, it could be fluid.  Check with your surgeon.

Breast implant removal

+1

Leaving the capsule in, after breast implant explant, may accumolate fluid inside the capsule. This could be what you are feeling.

A sonogram or mammogram will show that. Also see your surgeon for advise.