Is It True That my Breast Will Look Better After Breast Implant Removal?

I had 475cc silicone gel implants put in 3 weeks ago and I want to remove them. The doctor says he will remove the implants, but I must wait 2 weeks.

When I asked how my breast will look after removing them, doctor answered - even better. He said he reshaped them by creating a pocket and my skin will shrink back.

How is it possible that he reshaped my breast? I was a small B cup before and skin is ok. Will my breast be the same? Will there be a risk for capsular contracture?

Removing breast implants soon after surgery

+3

I would remove your breast implants as soon as possible if size is what bothers you. The longer you leave them in the more your skin will stretch, making it harder for it to contract. In a woman with a B cup to begin with, the surgeon only made a 'hole' in order to insert your implant. He did this by separating tissues apart. Nothing was rearranged or moved out of place. Your wounds have not had time to heal and may be easily separated at the second surgery. A smaller implant could be substituted for the larger one.

Breast Appearance After Breast Implant Removal

+2

Hi Viola, I'm sorry to hear that you wish to remove the implants so soon after the surgery. If you were my patient I'd feel badly that you and I hadn't achieved an outcome you felt comfortable with. I'm not sure why you wish to reverse the surgery but it's important that you be sure about what you want to do. If you wish to be larger than a small B cup but not as large as you are with the 475cc implants perhaps you may wish to consider an exchange for a smaller size implant.

I'm not sure that any surgeon can realistically tell you that your breasts will look better after removing your implants. Hopefully they will look the same as they did before the surgery, except that you will now have the skin scars from the insertion.

If you have your implants removed in 2 weeks I would not consider you to be at risk of capsular contracture.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision and please do be sure about what you wish to do before you proceed.

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast looking better after implant removal

+2

I think your doctor has a case of wishful thinking or maybe is just telling you what you want to hear.  My guess is your breasts will look pretty much the same as they did before the surgery but with a scar. 

Make sure you aren't rushing into this.  Any change in appearance takes getting used to.  I've had a few patients that have taken a while to get used to their implants but then ended up loving them.  And make absolutely sure you aren't doing this because of some lame comment from a "friend".  Good luch.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Implant Removal After Recent Surgery

+2

We usually delay breast implant removal in your situation because we hope you decide to keep the implants. Depending upon how determined you are with your intentions to get the implants out there is no reason not to proceed immediately in my practice.

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Aesthetic appearance after removal of recent breast implants

+2

If you have had second thoughts and wish to remove the implants that have recently been placed, it is possible to remove them. After three weeks, the implants have begun stretching out the breast tissue but have not completed the process. Therefore it is not predictable what you're breasts will look like once the implants are removed. You may see some stretching of the skin and a small degree of sagging. However, your implants have not remained in place for very long and this effect may be minimized.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Appearance Following Implant Removal

+1

Breast augmentation patients occasionally request the removal of their implants after they’ve been in place for a relatively short duration of time.  When this situation occurs, patients are often suffering from adjustment reactions.  These reactions often spontaneously resolve with the passage of time.  Unfortunately there are patients who aren’t able to adjust to their new implants and want them removed as soon as possible.

When this scenario arises implant removal is a relatively simple task.  In most cases, the patient’s previous incisions are re-opened and the implants removed.  It’s unusual for patients to require a capsulectomy or the use of drains under these circumstances.

Removal of implants that have been in place for less than six weeks wouldn’t be expected to alter the pre-operative appearance of the breasts.  In this situation, the breasts would be expected to return to their original appearance once post-operative swelling has resolved. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Removal of implants

+1
Since you are still very early in the healing process, your tissue has a good chance to settle back down close to original size.  However, you did want breast implants at some point, and was not happy with your size.  Before you consider just removal, you may want to consider going down in size--250 to 350.  This is not such a large implant, should not be heavy on your shoulders, but help give you the fullness for which you were looking.  Also, the change is not so drastic.  I would suggest discussing this with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants after 3 weeks

+1

Removing them before the skin stretches is better than later. No capsule will be formed at this time. Your breast will still look a bit deflated and the recovery is dependant upon your skin quality.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast implant removal and Breast Appearance

+1

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Shape after implant removal

+1

IT is difficult to know, from your description, exactly what was done by your surgeon.  Simply inserting and then quickly removing implants should not change your shape significantly unless there is unusual scarring or something else was done with your initial surgery.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS