Breastfeeding After Breast Implant Removal

I would like to remove my silicone gel breast implants (10 years old, rupture suspect). Actually I have three children whom I successfully breastfed for almost 5 years in total with breast implants. I am planning to have another child; will implant removal create breastfeeding problems?

There will likely not be a problem

+2

Given that you already were able to breast feed with the implants in place, there should not be a problem feeding after the implants are removed, assuming there is no injury to the breast ducts during your procedure. Some surgeons feel that an incision placed under the breast in the fold reduces the chance of injury to these ducts, as compared to incisions at the areola, but others disagree. If your incision is in your crease, I think you have very little to worry about.

Implant Removal and Breast Feeding

+1
Since you successfully breast fed with your other children, then implant removal if done through a submammary incision (by the crease) thereby missing the breast tissue you should not have any further risk for future breast feeding.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+1

Breast Implant removal should not adversely impact your ability to breast feed subsequent to the surgery as long as there is no injury to the breast ducts during the procedure.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Implant removlal and breast feeding

+1

Removing the implants should not cause a problem with breast feeding assuming likeyou said that you were able to breast feed before.

Breast feeding after breast implant removal is possible

+1

If you were able to breast feed following placement of your implants, then the chance that you will be able to still breastfeed after removal is fairly high. However, this ultimately depends on exactly what is done to your breasts during the explantation operation. Anytime you have an operation on your breasts, there exists a small but finite risk of interfering with your ability to lactate.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Breast feeding should be possible after implant removal.

+1

Operations on the breast certainly will not enhance your ability to breast feed.  However, unless the breast tissue was damaged during your operations (and it should not have been) you should be able to breast feed again.  As you know, there are no guarantees but the odds are very much in your favor.

Breast-feeding after breast implant removal

+1

It is possible to breast feed after having received a breast augmentation. Your success in breast-feeding will depend on the technique that was used initially to place the implants and the amount of disruption in the breast tissue itself. The breast implants have thinned out the overlying breast tissue and skin over time. Whether you leave the implants in place or remove them will not alter your ability to breast-feed at this time.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Removal of breast implants unlikely to interfere with breastfeeding

+1

There is always the chance, but usually the removal of implants does not interfere with breastfeeding. More invasive surgery if added might increase that chance..like a breast lift.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Removing Silicone Implants and Breast Feeding

+1

The chances are that you will be fine and able to breast feed. Now there is always the possibility that your baby to be may not latch on and not breast feed.

But given the fact that you were able to breast feed then likely you will be able to again even after your implant removal.

Now there is a chance that you will need a lift after the implant removal which may possibly affect your breast feeding.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

You should be fine

+1

Since you know that your breasts have the capacity for lactation, removing the implants shouldn't have any bearing on future breast feeding.  No guarantees, but you should be fine.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS