Breast Implant Removal Before or After Pregnancy?

I'm 27 and have had Breast Implants for 5 years total (350cc Saline for 2 years, 225cc Silicone gel for 3 years). I would like to get them removed without replacement. I would also like to get pregnant soon & in the future (likely 2 kids total).

I naturally have naturally small breasts (AA/almost A), little breast tissue, & fairly elastic skin. I would prefer not to get a breast lift if I didn't have to, but would be willing to if necessary. Should I get my implants removed now or wait until after pregnancy to have the best aesthetic result?

Timing Implant Removal with Pregnancy

+2
  • Why do you want to remove your implants?
    • Is the size just too big?
    • Are you concerned of being disproportionately large during pregnancy
    • Do you have concerns of safety with implants and pregnancy?
    • Do you have concerns of safety with implants and nursing?
    • Are you having specific implant-related problems?

Removing your implants can be done now, but I would postpone a lift until you are done with pregnancy, because your breasts are likely to change a bit with the pregnancies.

Because you are likely to see a lot of change in the size and shape of your breasts in the next few years of child-bearing, you may prefer to postpone removing implants and evaluating the need for lift until then.

This is a very worthwhile conversation to have with your surgeon.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Removal of breast implants

+2

You should remove them as soon as you want to because having them in place during pregnancy will have nothing to do with protecting you from needing a lift in the future.  In other words, your tissues will or won't need a lift regardless of whether the implant is in or not.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implant removal and pregnancy

+1

Most women who have implants removed after many years find that their breasts are deflated and the skin sags. The skin will not reliably return to its pre-implant condition. In my experience many women eventually seek a lift to improve the way their breast look both in and out of clothing.  Considering pregnancy will not affect the possibility of a lift one way or another . Most depends on skin quality, breast quantity, sun damage and age. But that decision is entirely personal. Good luck!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast implant removal

+1

I would vote for waiting after pregnancy to have the implants removed. That way, if additional surgery may be necessary to correct post-pregnancy/breast-feeding changes, it can be done at the same time.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you.  It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Talk to a well-trained and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and get good advice.

Timing of breast implant removal and pregnancy

+1

With or without the implants, your breasts will get engorged and their final appearance is unpredictable at this point in time. Rather than go through 2 or more surgeries, I would proceed with the pregnancies and then removal and possible lift after that but this is my opinion only.

Time to remove breast implants relative to pregnancy

+1

Removal of breast implants can be done before or after pregnancy. There is no way to predict how your breasts will change the first time you carry an baby to term and nurse. Take them out when you are ready to no longer have them. The only consideration should be that you give yourself time to heal from explantation before becoming pregnant, or that you wait 6 months after weaning to undergo breast surgery. Also, surgery should not be done electively while you are pregnant.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

It really is a personal choice whether or not to keep breast implants. As to what to do if you have them removed. Well, it is hard to tell what shape your breasts would be in after removal. If your tissues are very thin, you may not have much to lift at all.

Breast implants

+1

You can have the implants removed any time you are ready for surgery and recovery time. How ever once you are pregnant you cannot have surgery till the breast feeding is over and you can have the  time to undergo surgery and recovery with no heavy activity or lifting (as in lifting, carrying the baby) for three to four weeks.

Whether you will sag the implants will have very little influence if any. It will depeng on the skin elasticity or lack of it. Hopefully your genes are good to have a good elasticity of the skin

Removing Breast Implants

+1

I would remove them when you are ready.  It really does not make much difference when you remove them.  However, if you need a lift or going to need a lift, it would be wise to be done with your pregnancy so that when the implant is removed you can have you lift done then.  If you remove the implant now and need a lift and have one, then you get pregnant you may need a lift later after that.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD