Breast Implant Removal After 6 Years?

I have had my saline breast implants for the past 6 years and I have been having severe pain in my right breast. I do believe that it is from my implants, although I know they say there is no scientific proof of this. My current implant size is full C. I was an A before the surgery. How bad will my breasts look after breast implant removal surgery? I am 29 years old, no children and 120 lbs.

Appearancee of breasts after removal of implants

+1

There are so many factors that will effect the ultimate outcome and appearance of your breasts following implant removal. These include:

1.Age (yes, over 40 does mean less elasticity/contractility than a 25 year old but usually more than a 60 year old)
2.Size of implant
3.Number of years implant is in place
4.Over or under the muscle placement
5.Length and duration of nursing while implants are in place
6.Natural volume of breast tissue

In summary, it is my experience that If you go with a conservative volume implant (that is a subjective and not objective term) relative to your breast tissue, it is likely that you will have some loss of upper fullness with implatnt removal but not a drastic amount of sag (ptosis).

I have prepared a video on youtube entitled Breast Augmentation Overview in which I show the consequences of two patients who have undergone implants removal:

1.Scroll to 1 min into the video and you will see a 40 year old who underwent implant removal 1 year after placement. I do not have the pre implant photos because the augmentation was performed elsewhere and the patient preferred to have me remove the implant rather than the initial surgeon

.
2.Scroll to 1 min 30 sec into the video and the second patient is a 42 year old who had implants in place for 20 years.

Occasionally, it is obvious that a person will need a lift and implant removal and replacement can be performed simultaneously although there are some concerns about the circulation to the nipple areolar complex. I generally prefer a two stage approach with implant removal followed b 6-9 months of observation and then decide on a lift at that point in time. If there is a question about the need for a lift, saline implants can be deflated with a needle to get a rough idea bout the degree of sagging or droop (ptosis) followed by observation for 1-2 weeks to observe the effects of immediate contraction

Individual cases vary.

+1

It really depends. Some women have enough tissue to make things look OK afterward and others look a bit flatter. A loss of upper breast fullness is the most likely consequence.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Aesthetic result after breast implants are removed

+1

The breast implants that have been placed stretch out the tissue around them. When the implant is removed you will notice some sagging of the breast. In your case, the breast implants have not been in place for a sufficient amount of time to completely stretch out the overlying breast tissue. However, there is a risk that once these implants are removed that he will have some sagging tissue on your breast. If this displeases you, you may choose to have another implant put in its place or to receive a small breast lift.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breasts after implant removal

+1

Unfortunately, after having been stretched out for 6 years, your breasts may be very droopy after the implants are removed. This may require a lift in order to correct the sagginess. If you're having pain, and MRI can assess the implants to see if there are any problems. The pain may also be from an infection or inflamed milk duct, so before you jump to surgery have a plastic surgeon evaluate you. You may want to also consider having the implants replaced, but with a smaller size and with silicone gel implants. The gel implants are softer than the saline ones, and a smaller size may take some of the weight off if that is what's causing the pain. I hope this helps!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Implant removal

+1

It is difficult to determine what breasts will look like after removal of implants especially in a woman that had A cup breasts to start with.  If they really bother you, perhaps you just need a capsulectomy?

It is difficult to predict

+1

If you didn't have much breast tissue before surgery and your breasts are a C cup now, there will be some sagginess after implant removal. Although breast pain is sometimes difficult to diagnose as to the cause, removal of the implant may not make it go away. If your breast is firmer to the touch, your discomfort could be due to a capsular contracture. I would suggest you visit a board-certified plastic surgeon who can review your options with you after a good exam. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Removal

+1

Generally patients have pain from the implants if they have developed a capsular contracture. So there is a possibility that you have developed this and may need to be addressed by a board certified plastic surgeon that does breast revision surgery. Removing those implants after this many years and it sound like that are somewhat on the large side, it will not look very pretty. You will have lots of loose skin and essentially no breast tissue (volume).

I recommend you go see a plastic surgeon to evaulate you better and give you your options. Most plastic surgeon provide complimentary consultations so it will be at no cost to you.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD