Breast Explantation Surgery Advice?

I had silicone breast implants a year and 6 months ago. I may have a rupture. Is it better to get the MRI then go to a surgeon for breast implant removal, or just see the surgeon straight? I would like to keep my implants, but would feel better with saline breast implants if I need to change. Should I have my current Plastic Surgeon do it? How much would it cost me, on average (So Cal/Orange Co)?

Silicone breast implant rupture

+1

Clinical examination is very sensitive in picking up silicone breast implant rupture. If in doubt, your surgeon will order confirmatory tests.  I would return to your surgeon or someone you feel comfortable with. 

Aesthetic result after breast implants are removed

+1

The breast implants that have been placed stretch out the tissue around them. When the implant is removed you will notice some sagging of the breast. In your case, the breast implants have not been in place for a sufficient amount of time to completely stretch out the overlying breast tissue. However, there is a risk that once these implants are removed that he will have some sagging tissue on your breast. If this displeases you, you may choose to have another implant put in its place or to receive a small breast lift.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Get an evaluation before explantation

+1

With implants that are not that old, rupture is pretty unlikely. I would see your surgeon first. Cost will vary on what exactly you have done.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Leak? question about implants

+1

I think it would be best to be evaluated by your surgeon first. If he/she suspects a leak, then I would get the MRI or ultrasound to figure out what exactly is going on. In terms of prices, that is up to the office policy of the doctor. I am in NYC and although I trained in So Cal a long time ago, I do not know their average fees.

Consultation first before expensive imaging studies

+1

A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is the first step before getting any imaging studies. In some cases, I get patients who had a recent MRI for any reason and a rupture was seen.

Exchange to saline or gel is a personal choice at this point. Gel wil give a more natural result sepcialy if you have little breast tissue to cover that implant.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

How do you know it is leaking?

+1

Current generation silicone implants are quite durable. How do you know if you have a leak? I would recommend first seeing your plastic surgeon prior to getting any studies done. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Unusual for implants to rupture this soon. Do you desire silicone or not?

+1

It is extremely unusual for the implant to rupture after 18 months.

If you know for sure you want the implants removed, then the MRI is helpful but not necessary.

If, however, you find that if an MRI shows the implant to be intact and you are willing to keep the silicone implants, then it may be useful.

It really comes down to what you want to do with the implants and that will be the ultimate decision making issue.

I would likely stay with your current Plastic Surgeon.