Breast Implant Reduction Vs Exchange for Slim Frame?

I am 20 years old 5'7", 114lbs., 29in rib cage, and very slim. I made the mistake of not doing research and ended up with 360cc's putting me at a large C-cup. It looks so fake and now it's impossible to fit in my clothing which is a size 0.

My doctor said I'd have to get new Breast Implants if I wanted just 250cc implants and that would be another $7,000. He said that If I wanted to keep my current implants but it would be around $3,000 just to remove only 50cc's from them. Which cc's would be best for my body size?

POST PICS byVillar

+2

Breasts will shrink like a pregnant belly if saline is removed. In 1992 we had a panic when women were told they would die from silicone implants resulting from irresponsible journalism by Connie Chung.  A number of my patients with long standing implants (>5 yrs.) requested removal. We were amazed that the breasts shrunk back to normal in three days.  We them used this discovery to pre-shrink patients like you.

Saline can be painlessly removed by needle in the office.  The saline is measured as it comes out and you can get a good idea what size you need for the next operation.

If you look perfect and the size issue is in your head, the surgeon should charge you his regular fees for replacement.

If you look grotesque, then the surgeon would be prudent to do the surgery for free and just charge you the anesthesia and surgery center fee which here in Florida is $1200 for one hour.

If you do not get cooperation, you can post your before and after photos and the surgeons name and let the world decide.  That is what RealSelf is about.

Best wishes. Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD Best FACS

Breast Implant Exchange

+2

It is always difficult to determine what implant size works well for someone without an exam. But what I can tell you is that removing 50 cc from the implant would not be a significant change.

As far as cost goes, I believe $7,000 is a bit steep for remove and replace, since a lot of the work has been done already. I hate to say you need to "shop" around, but I would recommend you get an opinion of a couple of other board certified plastic surgeons to review your options. It can't hurt as most plastic surgeon offer complimentary consultation.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Too large breast implants.

+2

Hi!

1) Taking out saline from your current implants is not a good idea. 50 cc's will not make enough of a difference, and the implants will be underfilled and give you bad rippling.

2) 250 cc's is probably the maximum for you.

3) Your surgeon needs to use disposable breast implant SIZERS during your surgery to actually see which size gives you the look you want. I don't think the final decision should be made in advance. Your surgeon needs to have an inventory of implants available. Any thing else is just an educated guess.

4) You might look at the breast augmentation page on my web site.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant size and replacement

+2

If you want to downsize your saline breast implants, I would recommend considering an in-office deflation. What this involves is deflating the implant under local anesthesia in the office, whic allows the implant to deflate, and more importantly, allows your stretched out skin to shrink and contract. This will make the replacement of a smaller implant (250cc or smaller) much easier to do in about 3-6 months time. You could attempt to remove your current implants and simultaneously replace with smaller implants; however the pocket made for your current implants is too large for the smaller volume that you desire.

The ultimate size of the implant should be one that suits your body type, tissues as well as your desired cup size. Discuss this further with your surgeon again carefully before proceeding with a removal and replacement. You can not remove 50cc from a 360cc implant-that would not be a good approach to your situation.

William Bruno, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, without examination good advice is not  possible.

If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

VIDEO (Click HERE) Breast Implant Reduction Vs Exchange for Slim Frame?

+1

I am not a fan of underfilling the existing implant as this may lead to a higher rate of crease fold failure.

Saline Implant Exchange

+1

Dear TalkAtiv090,

It would be helpful to see photos of your frame and proportions but based on your weight and back size, these implants are way out of range. For you to natural result your surgeon must take your dimensions and the dimensions of the implants into consideration. A 360cc saline implant has a diameter of 12.7cm or about 5 inches. Someone with a slight build such as yours would have a hard time accommodating 10 inches wide of implants on your chest without a fake or "done" look. Even removing 50cc from your existing implants would not work since the diameter would not change.

Unfortunately, get what you want you will need to exchange for smaller implants.

Good luck.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Unahppy breast augmentation

+1

It is difficult to tell you what to do without formally examining you.  Every body is different and each one requires different things. Good luck with your decision.

Breast Implant exchange

+1

Reducing your current implants by 50 cc will make little difference. On the exact size of replacement implants, I would need to see you to estimate this. As you go smaller your implants may sag a bit due to the stretched tissue. This is something else for you to consider.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon