Breast Implant Redo..will I Get a Discount?

Hi, I had breast implants placed about 5 years ago. I would like to have them reduced in size as they feel too heavy, sore a lot, and ripple on the sides. I am currently a 250cc overfilled to 275cc. I would like to get 150cc instead for a very natural look. My question is..if I go back to my original doctor do they usually give a discount for a patient that they have already worked with? thanks!!

Implant Revision Discounts

+1

Each office has a different policy regarding revisions.  We do provide discounts to previous patients as we know the anatomy and what to expect.

Discount for revisionary breast surgery

+1

Each office is different in their policy regarding revisionary surgery so check with your doctor's office.  In my office, I always discount procedures for one of my patients (reduction of the surgeon's fee).  Talk to your surgeon and see.

Implant revision cost

+1

Every plastic surgeon has their own revision policy.  Many, if not most, plastic surgeons charge little to nothing for revisions related to "complications".  A change in implant size is obviously not this kind of revision.  Most plastic surgeons would charge something for size exchange surgery.  Many would give you a patient loyalty discount (ours is 10% for example).

The good news is that if the only variable that you are changing is the size of the implant, this can be a very simple, straighforward operation done at a lesser cost than your initial surgery.  This can be done quite easily with local anesthetic alone.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Discounts for redo breast augmentation

+1

There is no standard for what a physician will charge for a secondary procedure such as replacing implants with a different size.  Our policy is to charge almost 50% less than the original cost to replace implants that were done in our office.  I don't believe the breasts will sag anymore by going with a smaller implant.  If anything, they may sag less because of the decreased weight placed on the breast tissue.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Discount for redo breast surgery depends on your surgeon.

+1

In my practice, I routinely offer redo surgery without surgeon's fee (patient is responsible for OR and anesthesia cost, as well as implant costs when needed). Many surgeons also offer this, and many do so for a year after original surgery, though some may extend this time (I often do depending on the situation). You need to discuss this with your surgeon.

Reducing your implant volume by 125cc will reduce your size by about 1/2 cup size. To reduce the rippling and to achieve a softer, more natural look AND feel, you should consider the latest generation of cohesive silicone gel implants, even though they do cost about $700-800 more per pair. Smaller saline implants (even properly overfilled ones) will still have a potential for rippling, can deflate and require re-operation for replacement, and feel less natural. I have no vested interest (stock, ownership in one company or another, etc.) in recommending silicone implants other than the fact that I believe they are the best ones for the vast majority of my patients. They also agree with that after receiving them! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Discount for secondary surgery

+1

It depends on the surgeon of course.  I personally do give repeat patients a discount on their procedures.  Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

+1

Hard to advise what each doctors office does with returning previous patients. I offer a discount, I call it the returning or frequent flyer program. 

Fees for changing breast implants

+1

There are no standard fees for exchanging implants and much depends on the reason for the change.  If a lot of time went into your original implant selection and now, 5 years later you decide you want to be smaller, even going to the same doctor who will probably give you a small discount, I would expect to be paying for most of the full fee again because this is entirely your choice, not their fault, and they have to cover the costs of doing the surgery which is most of the fee you pay.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Cost For Implant Redo

+1

There is no standard for fees relating to revisional surgery and the charges will vary a good deal among surgeons.  This is a matter which you should ideally discuss with your surgeon prior to your original surgery.  Some will charge a full fee, others only the cost of implants and facility, others somewhere in between.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Augmentation Revisions

+1

I will offer complimentary revisions if there is a problem right after surgery that results in asymmetry or some other concern.

I perform a very careful sizng process with all my patients, so if patient has a desire for a size change, especially later, there will be a charge. I think most plastic surgeons enjoy seeing their patients abck and will offer a discounted rate for more work.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS