Breast Implant Recovery Advice? (photo)

Hello, I just had my breast augmentation 6/21/13 and am regretting it. After the surgery the doctor mention that he ended up placing 400cc’s,said it look better than 375cc,I wanted 400cc but on surgery day told anesthesiologists, nurse and doctor that I wanted 375cc's . Now,I feel like there to big. Is it normal for my cleavage line is off, will it change and correct itself? Also, is it normal for the nipples to feel numb still,how long?

I regret getting my breast augmentation

+2

It's normal to experience a range of emotions after your procedure, so I usually explain this to my patients at their pre-op visit.  From your photos, it appears that you are healing appropriately so just try to give it some time.  The 25cc difference is only about 5 teaspoons of a difference and most likely not even noticeable.  Over the next 3-6 months, your breasts will change shape and settle/drop so no use in worrying now about cleavage, just try to follow your surgeon's post-op instructions as best as you can and be patient.  Continue your follow up visits and voice your concerns with your PS.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Recovery Advice?

+2

Yes there are issues. If a patient requests ONLY a 375 cc than you need to fully understand why the size change. If this explanation is one of aesthetics than you really need to wait until 3 months of healing before re thinking the issue. As for nipple numbness very rare if non circus areolar incision used, again questions for your surgeon. As for cleavage much to early to see if you have this issue. 

Buyer's remorse

+2

It is very common for patients to worry about early post-op results when they cannot see beyond the bruising and swelling.  Your result is going to improve over the next few weeks, be patient.  Don't forget that there is the "recovery" period between the before and after pictures you have researched prior to your procedure.  The 25 cc difference will not be significant overall, and your early results appear to be very normal.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Recovery

+2

During the first few weeks following breast implants, it is generally too soon to draw any conclusion regarding the result. There is swelling, the implants are compressed by the overlying tissue and the shape will improve over time. Your concern regarding a 400cc implant vs a 375cc are unwarranted.  The 25 cc difference is less than one ounce and should have very little impact on the final result. Typically you need 50-100 cc to see a significant size difference at all. Try not to worry, but do discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Early recovery after breast implant surgery

+2

The first few weeks after breast augmentation can be nerve racking for many patients. The implants are almost invariable too high in the pocket at one week and feel firm and unnatural. From your photos, it appears as if you look exactly as I would expect one of my patients to look at the 1 week mark. The additional 25 cc will not be noticeable in 2-3 months when everything has normalized and softened. The nipples can often feel a bit numb or hypersensitive after breast surgery. I would not worry too much until it has been at least 1 month after your procedure. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Recovery advice

+2

Hello

You are only a week out of surgery and your implants will be a little higher.  They will settle in and feel a little softer in the weeks to come.  Also 25cc difference in implant size is small and barely noticeable, so do not worry about this.  The numbness is a more difficult question to answer as it is unpredictable.  It is very common to get some nipple numbness and the majority of the time it will return to normal, however it may take several months.

You should discuss these concerns with your surgeon in the post operative visits.

Hold in there.

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Advice on implant size

+2

Do not worry about 25 cc's... its miniscule and cannot be appreciated.  If your motivations were right for implants, you will be happier after they settle and soften.  If you did this for the wrong reasons, you will have your anxieties.  Give it time and things will get better.  And you should ALWAYS be in contact with your surgeon about your concerns.  Its much better for you in the long run!

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Implant Recovery Advice?

+2

The difference between 375cc and 400cc is not even 2 tablespoons so it is insignificant. The appearance of the breast is normal for only a few post op days. It usually takes anywhere from 6-12 weeks before you begin to see the final results. Please communicate with your surgeon so he can counsel you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+2

Take a DEEP breath and relax. You are barely a week out from surgery. It takes time for all of your tissues to compensate for the implants.  Not to mention the trauma from surgery. Everything is high, tight and swollen. All of which is completely NORMAL. As was said previously, it takes a good three to six months for your final result. Also take into consideration that there are 5cc's in a teaspoon. The difference from 375 cc implants to 400 cc implants is far from a dramatic difference. You must communicate your issues and worries with your surgeon. You chose he or she because you trusted their judgement and ability. 

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

RECOVERY

+2

Relax, you are only 6 days postop.  It is way to early to make any critical judgment's.  At the present you are swollen and need 4-6 weeks to get a reasonable idea on what you will end up with.  The final result may take 6 months.  During your follow-up visit express these concerns to your surgeon.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon